Week 3 Reflection Post

1.) By using the first principle, we can safely assume that Stratum U is the oldest layer at this site. Likewise, we can easily make a case for Stratum A being the newest layer. Beyond those two, things get a bit more tricky due to walls and pits affecting the way in which the layers fall. Working backwards from U, we can see that Stratum T-P work back in order, but starting with Stratum K and Stratum O the timelines may diverge a bit. We can notice this using principle two which lets us group different strata together based on similar artifacts found. We can see that left of the wall and right of the wall cause a variance in the pottery colors being used. Finally, moving from Stratum G up, we can see that the Strata get newer with each layer towards the surface. Ultimately, we can say that U is the oldest and A is the newest, and in between holds mostly consistent with that story.

2.3.) Filling seems to have occurred in Strata I (Left of Wall), K, M, and O. In these instances, we see a cement floor to the left of the wall that likely was put in place to alter the original ground area and make it more habitable for whomever was using it. As for an instance of unconformitie, Stratum E seems to be the biggest culprit as it is a naturally occurring instance of sand being blown and causing there to be a break in cultural artifacts. Finally, Stratum N has an occurrence of mixing as we see the concave-curved bottle spouts that occurred on the right side of the wall, mixed with the pottery with red-painted bands from the left side of the wall.

4.) It seems that the wall was built during the time period around Stratum O to match the concrete floor that was in place. At this point, it was above the ground, but over time became more and more naturally situated underground.

5.) Stratum K (Right of Wall) seems to be the same age as Strata L-O (Left of Wall). Stratum J (Right of Wall) seems to be the same age as Strata I-K (Left of Wall). Strata H-I (Right of Wall) seem to be the same age as Strata H (Left of Wall). Strata I (Right of Wall) does make this analysis somewhat tricky, though, due to its more horizontal occurrence.

6.) Strata G-O on the left side of the wall and Stratum I on the right side of the wall bracket the wall.

7.) It begins with flexed burial in Stratum P and transitions to extended burial in Stratum B.

2 thoughts on “Week 3 Reflection Post

1. I like your observations on the occurrence of filling. I never considered the concrete floors, that was really insightful. I also did not notice the mixing of artifacts in stratum N. I think your analysis in questions two and three was really detailed. On question four, I had the same thought but I also thought the wall might have been built at G and dug into the earth which caused the layers on the two sides to be different and the layers inside to have newer pottery than outside. There is also the shaft burial in stratum A to be considered in question seven.

2. Based on your interpretation of the strata, I’m curious how you explain that N and H (right of wall) have the same contents? In my interpretation, I didn’t view the wall as being built up from the ground, but rather dug into the ground during I (right of wall).

I do like your mention of stata E because of the fact that I happened to have accidentally left it out of my interpretation of the stratigraphy. I think its also important to look at why it only occurred in that small area, and not across the entire landscape that is depicted.