W4 Archaeology in the News

The article I chose to look at for this week’s Archaeology in the News discussed a dig in the Alamo that yielded colonial wall remnants. I chose this article because of our recent look at analyzing an example of different stratum levels in the dirt and how a wall sunk down within it and surrounded itself in multiple layers. This dig was the first phase of a larger one to renovate the historical landmark, and because of the discovery made here, it was the beginning of a major step in uncovering the construction history of this landmark. These wall remnants existed from the Spanish colonial period, and because of this analysis, they were able to discover that they were in the right direction in renovating this site. The actual remnants of the wall were found 23 inches below the surface and showed signs of wear and tear from degradation because of how long it has been down there. This was a major discovery and allows us as a whole to learn more about the history of it and actually analyze the materials that made up the wall. It just amazes me that simple discoveries such as this can increase our knowledge drastically and allow us to have a deeper appreciation for the past and the things it left us.

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/07/alamo-dig-yields-colonial-wall-remnants.html#Xu18FSjBC1wxjOVi.97

2 thoughts on “W4 Archaeology in the News

1. This type of discovery seems very unique and fascinating since we have already learned a little bit about how to analyze something like this. Just like the wall we analyzed in the previous reflection, I wonder if this wall showed a different organization of strata on the left and right sides. And if so, do you think that it would exhibit the same type of mixing or abnormalities that we saw in our analysis? I think it would also be very interesting to know what kind of artifacts were found in the strata around the wall to determine what time period this was.

2. As the previous comment stated, I would be fascinated to learn about the different items that were found around the lower parts of the wall, and if that would show a resemblence to the pattern of the strata from last weeks blog post. I would also be interested to see if the wall had been dug down at all, as in our previous assignment, or if it had solely been built up from the ground .

I think this is also where we can see a huge blend in the different studies, in this case, archaeology and history. What are the implications of this new find to the history of our nation, and does this affect in any way how we view the war that took place?