In the video “The Hearth”, it discussed households from four different locations that existed in different periods of time. They were the Ceren, Copan, Teotihuacan, and Pompeii households. Each household structure was unique even though two of the households came from the same location. The Mayan sites of Ceren and Copan which showed a similar home structure and had a similar layout plan which was a central patio that was surrounded by multiple buildings. But the differences between the two lie on the size of each household; it was showed that the Copan site was much larger than the Ceren site which was interesting to see because they both had many similarities but the sheer difference in size was key in distinguishing each site as unique. Looking more into the household structure and can very much be compared to today’s society of a normal home environment; there was an area for cooking the meals, laying their heads for the night, and even a storage area that most likely contained various things such as their tools, food, or other household items. Analyzing these two sites show a stable household that served its functions very well and allowed the potential to expand the family home structure.

Looking at the next site which was the Teotihuacan household and showed that its household structure was even larger than the previous two. The reason for this that was showed, was that the home contained not just a typical family, but generations of the family all in one household. It was said that these homes could hold between thirty to one hundred people. This was astounding that such a household actually existed where not only your family, but extended family from previous generations also lived with you during this period of time in this location. Another unique feature of this household was that it was centered around a religious element and also an economic element because each family within the household played a role in trade and the production of goods.

Lastly is the household in Pompeii, it can be said that these households were very different from the previous ones and unique only to it. The household structures had different shops attached to it in order for the family to have a stable income, another unique feature was the homes of the upper class people in this society which were very lavished and distinguished their status from others. The family structure wasn’t as cohesive as the previous ones and allowed outsiders to be in the family such as previously freed slaves. Overall, this structure was different from the previous ones, but quickly faded away due to being buried by volcanic ash.

1. I find your analysis about all the households perfect. I drew many of the same conclusions and I think it is obvious that these different sites share similarities but obvious drastic differences. The main difference I found between all of these sites was the size of the structures and the role of family in each house which is exactly what you emphasized. I agree that the most similar sites were Ceren and Copan because the two sites shared a very similar lifestyle in regards to subsistence. But clearly, Teotihuacan and Pompeii resemble much larger communities that emphasized wealth and a larger role of family as you had stated.

2. Darrell, I agree that it was interesting to see very similar house setups, but the difference in family and household size as the Copan people shared a larger distribution of labor. Also, good point about how even though the sites were inhabited so long ago, we see some very key similarities to our way of living today. In fact, we can see many similarities that we can relate to our lives today in the separation of areas for cooking and resting in Copan, the specialization of goods in Teotihuacan, and the establishment of social classes seen in Rome. Some families today, even in the same country, state, or local region live more like one of these places than another.

3. I like the connection you made with the Copan and Ceren households to today society because I did not pay attention of the similarities on how we live today to them. When you think of past societies you wouldn’t imagine them as “normal” as we are. Doing and living in similar ways as is weird to imagine. I came up with the same conclusions that the each household grew bigger and bigger and that each lived a different way. Until the last household, Teotihuacan, had their own way of living which we really wouldn’t consider a household because not everyone in the house was family. I kind of picture the Teotihuacan household as a hotel of some sort because they entertain guest and different kinds of people work and live there.