W4 Archaeology in the news post

Name: 2016 Pteria Excavations in Central Turkey Completed

Date:7/27/16

Source: https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/07/2016-pteria-excavations-in-central.html#EqOhFPEecKLOM7rH.97

Summary: Excavations of part of an ancient city nearby the village of Şahmuratlı in Central Turkey has been completed. A northern part of the city has been unearthed, but according to the archaeologists on the dig, the unearthed block was only one of over 750.

In Central Turkey, just outside of the village of Şahmuratlı, students have been working to unearth part of an ancient city. They managed to dig up a single block of the city, but they estimate there to be over 750, likely found using radiography. They mention that some findings located in the area were “very important”. However, they do not mention the nature of these findings outside of buildings, avenues, and roads.

I’m interested to see how things develop in this area. Considering that it is likely a rather stable, dry environment, it’s likely many artifacts are well preserved. Considering what we learned about how much structures can show about the people that lived in them, this could become very interesting. Considering their quantity, we could get a very wide view of what life may have been like, given enough time.

5 thoughts on “W4 Archaeology in the news post

1. Interesting! I think that if we have learned anything its that structures can teach us much about the past. We can definitely learn much about the people from the structures they lived in, the artifacts they kept and so forth. It would have been nice to see more detail within the article, for instance the findings that were “very important” how was that the case? what significance did they hold? Will they teach us more abut the inhabitants of those structures? or more about modern humans in general? I’d like to see how those important pieces shaped things for this structure.

2. I think it’s possible that the group hasn’t yet affirmed their hypotheses about the artifacts. They might realize that the artifacts hold some significance, but they may not yet be certain what significance the artifacts hold.

3. I love how you addressed the environment of the site and how it contributed to the state of the artifacts. You said the environment was dry and stable and this allowed the artifacts to be preserved (more so than a rather unstable environment) rather well. It was rather astounding that the only thing that has been dug up is one block of the city. And this one block gives us so much information about the past and its culture. Its also impressive that the students are actively participating in the archaeology and trying to discover artifacts. It is astounding how much more there is to discover in this site.

4. That there are only the structures left behind to gather information about this culture so far is interesting. As we have been discussing household structures can be determined by examining the actual structures that a culture has left behind. It would be interesting to see how this site and its ideas of the household evolve as it is excavated. I find it strange that there is little actually said about the finding in this site. The articles I have read are usually quite short but if something is brought up then it is important and needs to be discussed more.

5. I like your detail in regard to Pompeii and Teotihuacan.
    As I mentioned in my post, As we saw in Teotihuacan, the number of houses grew to up to a thousand. Up to 100 people could live in the same household. Teotihuacan buried the bones of people beneath the homes where they lived which I thought was very interesting. The leaders in Teotihuacan are all related which I found very interesting. In Rome, there were some similar preserves as Ceren, except what we could see in Rome was more décor. In Pompeii, we saw some very interesting artifacts such as the pottery that was a mass production.