W4 Archaeology in the News Post

This week, I read about archaeologists’ efforts to excavate the Sumerian city of Lagash. (https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/07/sumerian-city-of-lagash-slowly-emerging.html#qV02QjPRjyyTjcKU.97). Lagash is an ancient city that served as the capital of the Lagash city-state. This city spanned 15 square miles and has a plethora of temples and palaces. The vast majority of Lagash still remains under the sand, however the limited excavations that have already taken place have shown Lagash to hold great cultural value. Many artistic, religious, and cultural relics have already been found, and archaeologists have even found relics that signify the beginning of writing and the invention of the pottery wheel and schools.

These findings just go to show how culturally important it is to find out more about this ancient site. This site is rich with cultural artifacts and we clearly have so much more to learn from the site than we already have. Unfortunately, however, the recurring theme of thieves stealing artifacts from archaeological sites has held true here. Officials simply don’t have the resources to secure such a large site, and thieves have taken notice to this. Local tribes have taken notice to this theft and have resorted to chasing after these thieves and preventing them from stealing artifacts. This is refreshing to hear because it goes to show that people who recognize the value/importance of preserving these sites are the majority, not the minority. It is everyone’s responsibility to protect these sites.

2 thoughts on “W4 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I found your blog post really interesting! It always surprises me how many ancient cities and buildings people are still finding and excavating. It really shows how much history we still have yet to learn about the world. It is so sad when hearing about looters taking things from ancient sites because they are essentially stealing history that can never be replaced. In the article I read about the excavation of a castle, the anthropologists wanted to open the site up to the public. I wonder if they would be able to do that for this city as well to maybe bring in some money and resources to keep looting from happening.

2. I found your blog post really interesting! It always surprises me how many ancient cities and buildings people are still finding and excavating. It really shows how much history we still have yet to learn about the world. It is so sad when hearing about looters taking things from ancient sites because they are essentially stealing history that can never be replaced. In the article I read about the excavation of a castle, the anthropologists wanted to open the site up to the public. I wonder if they would be able to do that for this city as well to maybe bring in some money and resources to keep looting from happening.