W4 Archaeology in the News Post

The news article I chose depicts the finding of a large fragment of an Egyptian statue. It was made of lime stone and was found by excavation at Tel-Hazor, in Israel. What i found was interesting was the fact that only the lower part of the statue survived. This kind of ties into the things that we learned about and how archaeology is all about preservation and when excavating it is extremely hard for us to preserve certain artifacts. I also loved the fact that the article looks at the artifacts and dates it back to a certain time in Egypt’s timeline. It looks at when the statue must have been made and also looks at how the world can be broken down into certain cultures. The statues were sent by an Egyptian kind in the the “new kingdom” as gifts to the king of Hazor. This could have been a peace offering and maybe tried to strengthen the bonds between the two kingdoms. The article breaks down this find so deeply and studies it in order to relate it to the past. This is exactly what good archaeology is supposed to be.  Hazor was given special treatment as he was the most important king at the time. This article does a great job relating the artifact to the past.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160725090228.htm

3 thoughts on “W4 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I think your analysis of why the Egyptian king sent this gift highlights an interesting facet of archaeology. I think that many of us often have a hard time visualizing artifacts/remains as items that were actually part of somebody’s life (at least I do). What I mean is, every artifact that we find was used by a living, breathing person. These items are often from so far in the past that it’s hard to imagine they were ever even touched by a human. Each artifact, however, has its own story. We are able to tell parts of their stories from our studies, but there is so much more we may never know about these artifacts and the people that used them.

2. It is interesting to think of how long the statue had survived but now only the bottom half remains. So much work went into such an ornate thing and yet it is garbage that archaeologists are digging up today just the same. What things in today’s world that we cherish will become garbage just like everything else? There is an entire story behind that statue that we will never fully understand. I could have been a peace offering, maybe not. Archaeology seems to answer a lot of questions and yet create more at the same time. How much time and effort do you think went into making a statue like this?

3. I like your analysis about this archaeological news, you made it sounds like it is a really interesting article. Although, I still very curious like how the statue can be preserved only the lower part of it. But, overall I really like your analysis in which you associated the artifacts found by archaeologists with Egyptian culture. The prediction that you gave in your analysis also attracted me to know more on how these kingdoms might have mutual relationship with each other or maybe some sorts of trading. I am interested in hearing further analysis about this Egyptian culture and what is the actual relationship between these kingdoms.