Ceren
Their homes needed to be excavated from under the ground
There was a large abudance of diverse kinds of food and resources for the people of Ceren.
They were self sufficient, and families made their own clothes, pottery, almost everyone farmed.
They worked hard and had it well, more well than the archaeologists would have assumed. Very different from today, the people of Ceren kept their work, food, and family close. Everyone chipped in and helped with everything together. These links of the hearth were also ubiquitous in the four other cultures we learned about in the video.
Copan
Their homes were found above ground and not many artifacts were found intact, like the Ceren’s artifacts.
Some interesting artifacts found from the Copan people was a sleeping bench, and broken pottery that was most likely used for cooking and preparing food.
Their houses were set up with separate buildings with a patio in between. Each building had a different purpose, one for storage, cooking, and sleeping.
Some households contained many buildings, which led them to believe that they lived with lots of extended family members. This is also likely because modern day Mayan people live with extended family, and that tradition is likely to have carried on.
Teotihuacan
Largest Central American city at the time , and most prosperous. This was the first of these 4 cities to relate a rural lifestyle with an urban lifestyle. A lot of the trading in Mexico happened in Teotihuacan. Their houses differed from Copan and Ceren because they were set up as compounds with up to 100 people living in one compound. Something I found interesting about the Teotihuacan findings were the human bones buried directly under where they lived. I have always been fascinated by human anatomy and genetics, so I also found it interesting that there were similarities of holes in some skulls (where small vessels fit through) showing that those skulls were genetically related
Rome
Erosion didn’t occur (similarly to Ceren) because of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius which buried the households and city of Pompeii. Like the other people of the three previous cultures, the Romans put a high importance on hard work within the family and maintaining the hearth.
I think that any evidence that archaeologist’s found at the site of the people’s homes is the most important evidence to learn about them. This is because these indigenous people spent most of their lives at their homes with their families, and worked from the home. The artifacts found at the residential sites give us a good idea of what they did on a daily basis and what their lifestyles were like. I was very intrigued by the human remains found under the households of the Teotihuacan people, so a more in depth analysis on the human remains and burials of the other three groups of people would be interesting!

1. Even though archaeologists look at all aspects they uncover at an excavation site, it was fascinating to see them compare the skulls and bones to see the family resemblance within the households. Examining the small holes where blood vessels passed above the eye to show a trait in the males of the family is something I would not have considered possible. If there was a hold in the skull I may have assume for it to be from weathering and erosion over the years. It would be interesting to see if the archaeologists could find living relatives of this family if this trait was not common during this time.

2. It was fascinating to see how big and flourishing Rome was at that time. All the big buildings and monuments. But it certainly had a dark side to it. Laborers who were slaves were forced to work in building them. The division of the rich and the poor. All these things show the other side of the coin. I agree that the burials and the human remains were very intriguing. I am sure more analysis of them would give us very fine details about the people, maybe even a whole DNA map of that geographical area and how people were related.

3. I like the idea that maybe it would be more interesting if archaeologists looking more into the evidence or remains found around their homes because they spent most of their time with families. However, it would be incomplete because we will not be able to understand how people in the past communicate each other among different tribes or villages. Also, I disagree with your statement where you mentioned that similarity in structural anatomy from skeleton found in Teotihuacan reflects that they were genetically related. In my perspective, structural similarity doesn’t mean that they were genetically related. I think if they want to ensure in terms of molecular biology like genetics, archaeologists will have to do additional research on DNA level.