In the file “The Hearth,” we learned an in depth overview of the archaeological study of four kinds of households in different locations- Ceren, Copan, Teotihuacan, and Rome. These units differed in the sense that each family’s culture had its own unique way of life. They go into depth also on the way the people at these sites lived. Ceren did not have a lot of artifacts that were found. This could be the outcome of the majority of their homes being above ground. Ceren and Copan had the most similarities, however Copan was not as well preserved. Copan had a lot of broken pottery, which was interesting that they knew how to create and utilize pottery in their everyday lives. They both had a similar layout for their homes though; they had several buildings combined to form the same household. As we saw in Teotihuacan, the number of houses grew to up to a thousand. Up to 100 people could live in the same household. Teotihuacan buried the bones of people beneath the homes where they lived which I thought was very interesting. The leaders in Teotihuacan are all related which I found very interesting. In Rome, there were some similar preserves as Ceren, except what we could see in Rome was more décor. In Pompeii, we saw some very interesting artifacts such as the pottery that was a mass production. I would say the biggest difference between the four kinds of households is the different roles within each family. Also, each civilization had a different organization and lifestyle, which was clearly seen from what survived and what didn’t.

I can definitely say that the skeletal remains were one of the most important remains because this shows the relation between different tribes and ethnicities. This also shows how these people were related. Another big artifact that was important was the pottery from Pompeii. This shows the time they were at in industrialization. Technology was shown toward the end that really brought out artifacts that were not easy to identify unless you could see underground. I also found that it was interesting that they noted the fact that today we can identify some behavioral traits and ways of life that we discovered from so long ago. Another comment to add is the households that remained from each of the four locations, these are extremely important for studying the way these people lived everyday and for us to even come close to understanding what life was like for them.

1. I wrote about something different being important, but I like your take on skeletal remains being one of the most important types of remains that we have to study. Knowing who lived where and how they may have been related really can give us a lot of insight into the social order of the time and potentially help solve other questions about different sites. Skeletal remains definitely played a super important part at Teotihuacan, but we also read earlier in the class about how placement of skeletal remains are helping answer questions and give new insight at the Morton Village site.

2. I think it is important to note that the pottery from Pompeii was so abundant, that they sought various ways to recycle and make use of it; like coke bottle today. I also agree that the skeletal remains are some of the most prized findings at these sites. Even though they can’t tell us a great deal about the daily activities, they can tell us about relationships between individuals. I thought that the fact that there was a male dominated lineage at the Teotihuacan site was very interesting. I said that I would find modern DNA testing to be useful, so that further knowledge of relationships and genetics could be uncovered.
    Thanks!

3. I really like how you brought up the industrialization aspect about the pottery artifacts found in Pompeii. It is amazing to me to think that the citizens of Pompeii were so advanced that they had a fully functioning economy back then. The Roman Empire was extremely ahead of their time in my opinion. I also totally agree with you on the importance of the households found. Without those preserved houses, it would make interpreting the past lives of these people excruciatingly harder. The houses and their layout provide a perfect template for archaeologists to imagine what life was like back then.