In Ceren, archaeologists found that most of the artifacts were covered with mud due to mount eruption that took place around 1400 years ago. During their excavation, they figured that the inhabitants might have cooked with a round bottom pot on three points of contact. They also found huge vessels remained intact and there were carbonized cacao seeds, squash, chilies and beans. This findings suggest that people in this area already grew a variety of different food choices at that time, and keep a large amount of foods at their homes.

In Copan, archaeologists found houses of Mayan. Their houses consisted of separate patio groups of houses that used for cooking, sleeping, and storing foods. Their social groups were larger, people were living together in multiple families household. The reason behind the separation of each space based on their purpose is observed and investigated through the reconstruction on the model of Mayans. Then, archaeologists figured that separation of different patios according to their purpose is actually useful to divide up the labors because there are a lot of jobs that need to be done every day. Division of labor was constantly changing in every household, it was mostly done based on women’s vs. man’s works (gender) and also age.

Teotihuacan, Mexico is now covered by cactus and corn fields. When the city grew, farming get pushed to the edge of the urban center and this field was covered with residence. However, archaeologists could tell that it was a city because the surface of the grounds are rich in artifacts, such as piece of ceramics can be found along the surface. In this area, archaeologists also investigated skeleton remains and analyze the relationship within compound. They found out that their residential compounds could fit up to 130 people, and people who lived there were all related (extended families). This is called a lineages.

In Rome, lots of sites are really well-preserved. They had some sorts of differentiation in society, which separate people according to their wealth and thus created different social classes. Archaeologists found giant pots that were used to keep olive oil, wine, etc. They also found incredible picture in frames, dining room showed in wealthy roman homes.

Evidence that were used most of the time by the archaeologists are household-related artifacts, such as pottery that remained intact within houses, skeleton remains that found nearby, houses overall construction design. From all of these evidences, they reconstructed a model to be able to interpret the lifestyle of people in the past. I think the most important evidence would be skeleton remains, because it can be further analyzed with various different scientific methods that is widely available to help elaborate with other supporting findings around them. Other analysis that I would be interesting to do in these sites is to focus more on their cultural processes.

1. Watching the film, I was so surprised that archeologists were actually able to find full beans and seeds and identify them. I could not believe that food would actually stay intact like that enough for people to find out exactly what they are! I think it was really lucky that they were able to find these types of seeds because it was direct insight into what the people living in these houses used to eat and how they sustained themselves. I definitely agree with you that skeletal remains are really important while looking at how people live. I also think this could help in identifying cultural processes, like you mentioned as well!

2. I really wanted to know about the skeletal remains as well! I felt as though studying about them could tell us if there were certain rituals that go along with the burials, or if they were just simple normal burials. It would be a good insight into the culture of the hearth. I also believe that Ceren and Copan were very similar to one another. They are rather small and have a sort of working relationship between families that reside there. In both hearths, although different, there are extended families and people working together and living with one another in order to survive.

3. The absence of more information regarding the skeletal remains is a bummer, but this response is not! The analysis of all the locations were very precise and clear. I enjoy learning more and reading about things that I may have missed while watching the videos. It makes me wonder what those skeletal remains could’ve told us about those locations. What significance do they hold? Do they offer insight to the demographics of the area? How long were they there? Did they perish as their cities did or were they laid to rest before? That is the wonder of skeletal remains, sometimes it is unclear and it makes studying them more interesting. I wish the video gave more information. Awesome response. I enjoyed reading it.

4. I like your detail in regard to Pompeii and Teotihuacan.
    As I mentioned in my post, As we saw in Teotihuacan, the number of houses grew to up to a thousand. Up to 100 people could live in the same household. Teotihuacan buried the bones of people beneath the homes where they lived which I thought was very interesting. The leaders in Teotihuacan are all related which I found very interesting. In Rome, there were some similar preserves as Ceren, except what we could see in Rome was more décor. In Pompeii, we saw some very interesting artifacts such as the pottery that was a mass production.