When looking at just the titles of the top ten discoveries of 2015, the title that quickly grasped my attention and became my number one out of these, was the “Tracing of Slave Origins”.

1. I chose this as my number one primarily because of the title and the way how it quickly attracted me to it. I am an African American male; my ancestors are believed to be enslaved Africans that were brought over from Africa into this country. Reading about this and how they were able to identify three enslaved Africans that were buried in the Caribbean and looked at the remaining DNA from them and could locate their origin. This advancement in our own technology and discoveries by far made it the best discovery for me because it is now piecing together specifically the origin any slave could have come from and also look at the distance and journey they must have taken to end up in the places they were enslaved at.
  2.  The context from this discovery was the use of whole-genome capture and next generation sequencing where they were able to isolate the remaining DNA from these individuals. The cultural implications this has is huge; it can now further expand of tracing the origins of individuals that lived many years ago but can track potentially a pattern of where slave traders went and what particular group they went after. This can give us as a whole a deeper insight on the different African tribes and where these slaves came from and potentially answer questions as to how they ended up so very far away from their home.
  3. The interpretations made from this was to show how genome data analyzing is far greater than it previously was and the accuracy behind it is far better. They were able to increase their knowledge on Caribbean slavery because of this and show how far technology has come with this sort of discovery.

Overall, each of these discoveries brought about an increase in knowledge and demonstrated how far our technology has come. What really surprised me overall about this top ten list was how the technology was being used to discover some of these things and how in the past, some of these wouldn’t be possible to discover without today’s technology. It just fascinates me how our world still has plenty of things to discover and how our own thirst for knowledge and new things never seems to end.

1. I also thought that Tracing of Slave Origins was the best discovery of 2015. I choose this one also because I had a close connection to the story. It was nice to know that they were able to trace the slaves back to their origins. Since slaves are taken all across the states you would think it was impossible to trace them back to their African roots. So for archaeologists being able to find that was intriguing. I also agree with you that technology has advanced and without it we would not have discovered some of them or have the answers we do have.

2. I also chose this article to be the top discovery in my opinion, because I am really interested in human remains, and in the history of human migration. The advanced technology of the DNA sequencing, which allowed the scientists to uncover the geographical origins from their DNA, was probably the most amazing part of this article! The way that scientists and archaeologists team up and combine their knowledge and works astounds me, and is great for broadening our knowledge of the history of people! I’m looking forward to see what wonderful DNA sequencing techniques will be made in the future! The fact that we today are still learning about the travel patterns of African slaves to the new world (and other migrations) means that there probably is a lot that we still don’t know.

3. I also chose this article to be the top discovery in my opinion, because I am really interested in human remains, and in the history of human migration. The advanced technology of the DNA sequencing, which allowed the scientists to uncover the geographical origins from their DNA, was probably the most amazing part of this article! The way that scientists and archaeologists team up and combine their knowledge and works astounds me, and is great for broadening our knowledge of the history of people! I’m looking forward to see what wonderful DNA sequencing techniques will be made in the future! The fact that we today are still learning about the travel patterns of African slaves to the new world (and other migrations) means that there probably is a lot that we still don’t know.

4. I also chose this article to be the top discovery in my opinion, because I am really interested in human remains, and in the history of human migration. The advanced technology of the DNA sequencing, which allowed the scientists to uncover the geographical origins from their DNA, was probably the most amazing part of this article! The way that scientists and archaeologists team up and combine their knowledge and works astounds me, and is great for broadening our knowledge of the history of people! I’m looking forward to see what wonderful DNA sequencing techniques will be made in the future! The fact that we today are still learning about the travel patterns of African slaves to the new world (and other migrations) means that there probably is a lot that we still don’t know.