After reading, “Top 10 discoveries of 2015” it was a toss up between Jamestown VIP and Tracing Slave Origins. For the Jamestown VIP I did my archaeology news on the similar article last week. For the Jamestown article it talked about the discovery of 4 members of the Jamestown leadership who discovered the first English Settlement. Archaeologists was able to discovered each bodies identity based upon their high rankings and how they were buried. Each member held a certain and had a certain religious belief. Based upon that archaeologist were able to tell who was buried because what they was buried with and/or which direction they was buried.
For the Tracing Slave Origins archaeologists found 3 enslaved Africans. 2 who were men and 1 was a woman. All three was buried in Caribbean Island of St Martin. What was so interesting about this discovery was that archaeologists noticed that their teeth was initially filed down. Which is associated with certain regions of in Africa. What was also fascinating with this discovery is that archaeologists was able to use genome data to trace genetic origins of the enslaved Africans. They found a connection to the West African population.
Therefore I have to pick Tracing Slave Origins as the best article because it affects me in different types of ways and it also shows ritual that were present in the past and new technology to help further advance our discovery and interpretation. Having technology like this can test out previous hypotheses and can help us answer questions we had no other way of determining when comparing the body to the environment around it.
My #3 would probably be the Bronze Age Bride. This was a good discovery because her body was well preserved even though she died 1370 B.C. Usually when archaeologists find a body there’s hardly anything left of the body. She had her brain and skin and also other parts preserved because of the environment she was buried in. It was interesting that everyone in that area considered her apart of the town and gave her a name but archaeologists discovered that she wasn’t from that area. They were able to discovered that by the strontium isotopes in her teeth. They were also able to determine that went back and forth from her town to the town she was buried in.
The reason I like these 3 than the other articles because archaeologists research and technology. In the past it was a guessing game full of hypothesis and theories. Now we can condense all that the actual truth but comparing our research to the our findings. Rituals and beliefs in that community helps so much to determine that discovery background. Technology helps answer so many questions and hypotheses.