After reading the Top 10 Discoveries of 2015, I am surprised by either the historical interpretations made in them, or the development of technology applied in them. All of them are really new things to know for me, such us the study of Caribbean slavery and the archaeology of the African diaspora based on the condition of the individuals’ teeth in ‘Tracing Slave Origins’, or the newly discovered transitional species between apelike Australopithecus and early human in ‘A New Human Relative.’ But having to say that, the best of them from my perspective is ‘Bronze Age Bride.’

The article ‘Bronze Age Bride’ talks about the historical story of the well-preserved remains of a young woman originally discovered in 1921. However, after the strontium isotopes analysis in the young women’s tooth enamel recently, her history seems need to be amended. The result of recent research suggested that the young women did not grow up on the Jutland Peninsula, where Egtved is located, but went back and forth between the Black Forest, where she raised, and the Jutland Peninsula, where she was buried in. This post also provides the context which may lead this phenomenon, that is the dynastic marriages were often followed by an exchange of ‘foster brothers’ to secure the alliance at that time, that is the young women who married with the chieftain of another place would have to bring a boy back to her hometown and bring another boy from her hometown to her husband’s town and raised up there.  And this would lead the discovered remain of the young women to carry evidence of those round travels.

There are several point which make this post the best in my mind. Firstly, this post is about a new research of an old archaeological discovery. Just like some other post, developed technology is applied in archaeological research and provide us new information then our pervious opinions, and I think it is the charm of technology development. Secondly, this post is about actual archaeological research and theoretical predication. It looks like the hypothesis of dynastic marriages have existed before, and the new research result is able to support it. As I mentioned in last news post, in archaeology, it is really hard to have firm evidence on things in that long past, but with more evidence discovered, archaeologists are able to get closer towards the truth, and it is exactly what this post is about. Overall, these discovers of 2015 are deserved to be the top 10 of the year and all of them are pretty interesting.

1. The “Bronze Age Bride” was my second pick among the 10 discoveries. However, what surprised me the most in this article was the exchange of foster brothers to secure alliances. Indeed, it is really very interesting to see how archaeological evidence can support a hypothesis previously created or prove that it is wrong sometimes. I also found fascinating to see that they could still do research in an old archaeological site. Actually, I believe that it is quite common in archaeology because of the technological advance. I am a big fan of technological innovation and I become very happy when I see how technology is helping people to do their best in their personal and professional lives.

2. “Bronze Age Bride” was also the finding I considered the most significant. The findings themselves were fascinating and surprisingly enlightening for their relatively small presence. Also significant, however, is how this reminds us that there’s always more to learn from our findings. I’m sure that in the 1920s, nobody would have expected that these skeletal remains would provide as much information as they did, but fast forward to the modern day with new technology, we’ve been able to infer things that we could only have imagined before.

Just imagining what we might be able to learn using technology in the future thrills me to no end.