I personally enjoyed reading about all the 10 archaeological discoveries. The discoveries “World’s Oldest pretzels,” “Bronze Age Bride”, and “A New Human Relative” were the ones that I found most interesting among the top 10 discoveries. However, I ended up picking the “A New Human Relative” as the best discovery.
In the discovery “A new Human Relative”, archaeologists found hominin remains in a cave system located in Johannesburg, South Africa. The group of archeologists working on the site retrieved more than 1,500 specimens, which belonged to at least fifteen different individuals. The remains did not belong to any known species, so they named it Homo Naledi. The new species showed a mix of primitive and modern features such as a brain with the size of an orange and feet for walking upright. Due to this fact, the researchers suspected the new species to be among the earliest member of the Homo class. This new species may be the transitional species between australopithecines and early humans which scientists have long searched.
I picked this discovery as the best one because I have always been interested in the human evolution process. So, I found very interesting to read about the discovery of a new species in the human evolution process. Also, the question where did humans come from? Is probably one very controversial, so it is very interesting to see how archaeology and other sciences can help to better answer this question.
“World’s Oldest pretzels” was probably the second most interesting for me. I was amazed when I read that archeologists found two pieces carbonized pretzels dated to the Roman era. I always thought of pretzels as a relatively modern kind of food, so I was really surprised when I read that it was found on a 18-century German privy. Also, I did not expect baked food to survive for this long.
The “Bronze Age Bride” discovery was very interesting to me. It was amazing how the young woman’s clothing, hair, tooth enamel, and parts of her brain and skin were preserved. However, what I found really interesting in this article was the exchange of foster brothers which often followed Dynastic marriages according to the article. While Dynastic marriages is not a novelty for me, it was the first time that I read about exchanging foster brothers to secure alliances.
Overall, every single one of the 10 discoveries was very fascinating . Most of the discoveries somehow challenged the actual timeline that we have for certain cultures. Also, it is very interesting how archaeologists can find very different kinds of archaeological records in different sites; among these 10 discoveries, they vary from pieces of carbonized pretzel to human remains.

1. It is so crazy how a group of Archaeologists discovered a new member of the Homo class. I agree with you when you say the human evolution process is very interesting. Every researcher involved with evolution is asking the “Where did humans come from” question. All though we are far from answering that question as of now, at least we are getting closer.

Also, I did not find the “World’s Oldest Pretzels” article as interesting, but that is just because I’m just not a fan of pretzels in general. However, I did not know pretzels were around for that long!

2. With the material from Physical Anthropology still being fresh in my head this post stood out to. My last portion of that class was spent talking about the different species that were here before we were. This articles is fascinating because there’s no way of truly knowing what species were here before us, or what species we are most related to. I bet there are many who hypothesize these things, but how can we really know yet? This post was a good choice because at one point or another I think we have all thought about human evolution. Questioned where we came from, who we are, and where e are going. This discovery of this species in turn will help us answer those questions. I believe that with each discovery we get closer and closer to deciphering the puzzle that is human evolution. This piece was laid out really well and I liked that you started by saying you enjoyed reading them all. I can relate. However as I said in a previous post, not all of them could be the best and we all would differ in opinion. This was really well done and a fine section.

3. I am agree with you that it is very cool and inspiring how archaeologists can found a new human relative again, which will make the story of human evolution more complete. I believe that this findings will eventually help us to understand how human has changed over time by filling out the missing puzzles. Thus, we can learned the lesson from the past and apply this lesson later in the future.

‘World’s oldest pretzel’ is also one of my favorite discovery among ten of them. I was really amazed that such baked goods can still fully recovered under the ground. The other thing I also found it attractive in your response is that pretzel thought to be modern kind of food, which also came up in my mind when I first read the article. But now we know that pretzel has been around since 18th century!

4. I also thought that the discovery titled “A New Human Relative” was the most interesting! Even though my focus isn’t on physical archaeology, I am fascinated by the evolution of humans. It is ironic that the homo naledi was found by accident, since scientists have been searching for the link between Australopithecus afarensis and Homo habilis for years! Additionally, I wrote about the “World’s Oldest Pretzels” and was also surprised at the presence of pretzels centuries ago, and the ability of this pretzel to remain somewhat intact for all this time. The importance of this finding of a baked good makes me wonder what people in the future will be able to determine based on the seemingly unimportant things we have today.

5. While interesting, I remain cautiously optimistic about the “A New Human Relative” findings. There have been times when findings like this have been forged in the past, and the fact that the remains were originally found by amateur cavers makes me immediately skeptical. Especially concerning to me is that, so far, the scientists have been “unable to date the remains”.

While I hope that they are really what they seem to be, I will maintain a healthy amount of skepticism about the findings until we can date them and prove that they are as old as they seem. The geographic location makes it plausible that they could be a human ancestor, but time will tell if they really are.