By using the seriation technique and stratigraphic evidence, as well as the looking at the proportions of the body, neck and stirrup, and the kind of decoration, I arranged the stirrup spout bottles into the following sequence:

Vessel B, vessel C, vessel J, vessel G, vessel F, vessel I, vessel K, vessel A, vessel L, vessel H, vessel D, vessel E.

The vessel that does not seem to fit into the sequence is vessel A. This is because the stirrup is extremely ornate, unlike any of the other vessels in this group. The stirrup is also much larger than the other vessels, even though it still has the rounded shape. The only other vessel that is relatively similar is vessel H, but even that stirrup is not nearly as large or ornate. Also, the vessel itself has very extensive applique and punctate decoration all over the surface, more than any other vessel in the group.

When accounting for this change in design, I would assume that there was a change in the way the vessels were being made, or, more likely, the vessel was either brought in by an individual or traded in by a group. This would make sense because although it is very different than the other vessels, it still has some of the same features, like the rounded stirrup and conical spout. This could be because a closely neighboring community made this vessel for the same or similar purpose and traded it with someone within the original community.

It does have a similar feature to vessel H, because they both have punctuate decorative stirrups and both have the rounded shape of stirrup. I also believe it has features similar to vessel C and G, because all three have flanged rims above the spout. This is why, in the sequence, I added vessel H after both vessels C and G, because it most likely came after them.

The seriational ordering is similar to the cultural sequence from the stratigraphic excavation in Problem 1 because they are both methods of relative dating. This means that because they are so close in time, it is hard to date them both absolutely. It is also similar because in both cases there were artifacts that did not necessarily fit within the sequence. These outliers then needed to be examined in order to find the cause as to why they did not fit entirely within the layers or the ordering.

1. Suhana, I decided on a very similar order for the chronology of the vessels. The only one that was in a relatively different place was vessel A. I account this for the fact that both of us said that vessel A did not seem to fit. It was hard to find a place for vessel A because it didn’t seem to belong to this sequence at all. Like you I associated it’s belonging as a part of a trade. I had my vessel A place chronologically near the older vessels but after reading your explanation I could also see it being in the middle of the sequence.

2. Suhana, I agree with the majority of your sequence, and that vessel A is the one that does not fit in with the rest of the sequence. I agree that the stirrup is unique to the others, specifically the circularity of the center. It is indeed very ornate and has a unique decoration compared to the others. Your point about this vessel possibly being traded in or brought in by another group is very likely, even possibly a related tribe that just had slightly different styles than that tribe at that time. I also agree that it resembles H, C, and G most closely, as I noted in my own post.

3. I have seen a lot of people that are saying that vessel A is the one that is out of place in the sequence. I like the evidence you used to support this decision. Vessel A does have very little in common with the other vessels and I like that you pointed out the differences in the stirrups from vessel A and the next closest, vessel H. I like that you explored the trade aspect as a possible explanation of why vessel A is so different from the other vessels in the sequence. I had the same thought about vessel E, which I said was the one that was out of place.