From the information given and the law of super position, we know that vessel B is older than vessel L. Using the seriation technique I have arranged the vessels in chronological ordered from oldest to youngest:

Vessel C | Vessel J | Vessel A| Vessel B | Vessel G | Vessel I | Vessel F | Vessel K | Vessel D | Vessel E | Vessel H | Vessel L

The most telling features of the vessels to me were the spout and body shape. You can see a clear and gradual change from a round body shape with a short spout to a cupcake shaped body with a taller spout.

-The vessels I struggled placing in the sequence the most were vessels A and vessels J. Vessel A was difficult because it was found in the same area as vessel B, which we were told was one of the oldest. It has a similar body shape to the older vessels but stylistically it was more similar to the newer vessels. Additionally the stirrup was larger and the body was smaller than any other vessel. Every feature about vessel A was slightly different than any other vessel. The issue I had with vessel J was also associated with the vessels it was found with. Similar to vessel A it differed slightly from all other vessels. I had a larger body and stirrup than the early vessels it resembled most, the stirrup and spout were bulkier than the other vessels.

– An explanation for vessel A would be that it was acquired via trade. It just does not fit with the other vessels surrounding it especially but it doesn’t seem to have a place anywhere in the sequence. Possibly the person who made it was influenced by outside sources, maybe a neighboring tribe. Vessel J appeared to me to be much older than vessels it was found with, a possibility could be that something disturbed the area that vessel J was in, something like a tree root, causing it to be found with the newer vessel.

– Vessel A had similar body type to the vessels it was found with, it has the same flanged rim, conical spout, convex body, flat bottom, and punctuated decoration as vessel C. Vessel J structurally had similar features to vessel K but when you look at the design and style they look nothing alike. Also like vessel C, it has a round stirrup, a convex body, a punctuated body, and neither have decoration on the stirrup or spout.

– The seriational ordering and the stratigraphic excavation used to create cultural sequences are similar techniques. Both are a form of relative dating where you are not finding a specific date, but instead an artifact’s surroundings to find the chronology. This exercise was similar to problem 1 in the sense that it was difficult at first to grasp exactly what you were looking at and while most of the artifacts fit in a sequence relatively easily, there were a couple that did not seem to fit anywhere.

One thought on “W6 Reflection Post

1. My sequence for the vessels looks very similar to yours. They only differ in three aspects: the order of vessels J and C, the order of vessels H and L, and the fact that you included vessel A into your sequence while I did not. I also used the spout (short vs tall) and the body shape(convex-curved vs cupcake shape) as my main guidance to order the vessels. I also struggle to fit vessel A into my sequence because of it resembled both the oldest and the youngest vessels. That is why I said that it did not belong to the sequence. I liked the hypothesis that you proposed for vessel A, especially the possibility of outsiders’ influence.