W6 Archaeology in the News

I found a really interesting article on ABCNews.com about the discovery of some human remains of a teenager on Mount Lykaion in Greece.  This mountain is the infamous mountain where the Greek God Zeus was supposedly born.  The remains are said to be about 3000 years old, and could be a determining factor in the verdict of an ancient Greek myth.  According to the article, in a sacrifice for Zeus, “a boy was sacrificed with the animals and all the meat was cooked and eaten together. Whoever ate the human part would become a wolf for nine years.” The remains were indeed found next to a mound of ashes from numerous animals as well.  The cause of death of the teenager has not been determined yet, but this amazing discovery could actually confirm this incredible myth.

This article immediately caught my eye because I think the Greek God era is beyond interesting! The fact that these human remains exactly match that ancient Greek myth is absolutely absurd to me.  I really want to see what the cause of death was because it would be so cool if the cause actually matched up with the myth as well.  Apparently they have only excavated seven percent of the altar so far, so I really can’t wait to see what else they find!

Here’s the link if anyone wants to give it a read!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/chilling-mountaintop-find-confirm-dark-greek-legend-41276100

2 thoughts on “W6 Archaeology in the News

1. Your article is really interesting, and I like the fact that it ties into something that is already know. It is really cool that the discovery so closely resembles the myth. I agree that it would be interesting to see what the cause of death was for the teenager, to see if it matches the story from ancient Greek legend. It is really interesting to think that archaeology could be used to prove that a myth was actually based on a true story. I wonder if this discovery will lead to anymore searches for historical facts to support ancient myths.

2. Huh! I found an article relating to the same finding on Archaeology News Network, but it didn’t mention the possible correlation to a Greek myth. That just makes the finding even more interesting to me! I’ll definitely be following this finding to see if they can confirm the cause of death or not. Although whether they confirm the cause of death or not may or may not disprove or prove correlation to the myth. Whether he died of malnutrition or was sacrificed, he could have still been used in accordance with the myth in question.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what else they find. I also don’t recall if my article mentioned how little of the site had been excavated or not, though it did mention that they would be there until at least 2021, if I recall correctly.