W6 Archaeology in the News

I looked at an articled called “Unique 4th Century Mosaic of Chariot Race Found in Cyprus”. It’s probably not too hard of a stretch to figure out what it was about. What’s really interesting about this find is that an original piece of the mosaic was found back in 1938, but work on its excavation didn’t begin until recently and it still is not fully uncovered. The mosaic also is one of only a handful in the world to fully depict chariot racing at the hippodrome. Additionally, the mosaic is very large and measures out to be 36×13 feet. What’s also unique about this find is that its more towards the center of the island. Historically, most of the finds have been towards the coast where the cities and towns were typically located.

They believe that this find loosely confirms that Cyprus was indeed a wealthy island. It has been thought that Cyprus was a wealthy island in the age of antiquity due to copper production, but one thought placed forward was that this mosaic belonged to a wealthy individual from when Cypus was under Roman rule. The placement of an actual wealthy individual, instead of simply resources, helps to shape the theory and give credence to the general idea.

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/08/unique-4th-century-mosaic-of-chariot.html#hfJMS3ZXMy1ZKFEf.97

5 thoughts on “W6 Archaeology in the News

1. The article you chose had some interesting facts around the Mosaic of chariot race found in Cyprus. This was found in 1938 but I agree with what you said around how it was interesting that it was one of a handful in the world that depicted the chariot race. Furthermore, the mosaic is unique because it is centered in an island. Even though this survived, archeologists can conclude that Cyprus was an island that is harsh on weather. What is even more interesting is that so much of the information was found only because of where the painting was located.

2. This is surely a very interesting article. A mosaic which dates back to the 4th century, and the most surprising part is its dimensions. 36 feet in length and 13 feet in width is a very big mosaic. It’s also surprising that it was found in the center of the island, unlike other which were found more towards the coast. As mosaic and other paintings were the only way of depicting the life of that time period, this surely tells us a lot about it. The hippodrome is also a very significant monument in Greek history. This mosaic is one of the handful of others that depict chariot racing that occurred.

3. I am really impressed with the article you reviewed above. The mosaic that they found is a huge one and it has also been found towards the coast which is quite unusual. From this findings, we can at least hypothesize that Cyprus is not a primitive island back to 4th century. However, I really want to know further why there is no attempt to do full excavation if the original piece has been found back in 1938. Furthermore, there might be something, either new discovery (related to the mosaic) around the sites or any event that happened, which then attracted archaeologists to dig back into it.

4. This seems very odd that a piece of the mosaic was found back in 1938 but it is still yet to be fully uncovered. A rare piece like this should attract a lot of interest and I would think that excavation would’ve began immediately. Possibly there was something that was preventing archaeologists from initiating a full scale excavation. I also wonder why this mosaic would be towards the middle of the island when most of the population was along the coast line. Maybe this artifact was subject to transportation to a more ceremonial structure or building. These would only be a few of the questions that I would want to ask.

5. I really like this article because it relates to an article that I wrote on in week six. The find I wrote about was dated a bit earlier but your article shows that the wealth on Cyprus remained for quite a while. It is pretty interesting that part of the mosaic was discovered in the 1930’s but it is just now being fully excavated. The location of the find is also very interesting and I like the possibility of its connection to the Roman rule of the island. The size of the mosaic makes me wonder how much else there could be in the surrounding area that could further increase our knowledge and understanding of the history of Cyprus.