W6 Archaeology in the News

Name: Human burial found in the middle of sacrificial altar at Mt. Lykaion

Date: 11th August 2016

Source: https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.in/2016/08/human-burial-found-in-middle-of.html#843mp0bdX3KZVM8K.97

→ In this article they talk about a burial which was excavated at the sanctuary of Zeus at Mt. Lykaion. This is the place where the Greek god Zeus was born and raised. There is an ongoing  Greek-American collaborative archaeological research project which has been around since 2004. They found an altar at this place which is placed at a hill. Beneath which they found pottery and sacrifice evidence dating back to the Neolithic period. This means that it was a place of religious activity from at least the 16th century BC through to the Hellenistic period. In 2016 they found a burial which belonged to adolescent man. Also some pottery found led to the discovery that the burial belonged to 11th century BC. There had been written sources that mention human sacrifice but never once they had found any kind of evidence. It says that it is too early to draw conclusions but the position of the burial and its orientation suggests some importance. Among other important findings there is a monumental staircase and an impressive apsidal entrance flanking the two ends of a corridor dating to the 4th century BC where athletes apparently entered the hippodrome and stadium. Surely the Greek history has a lot to offer us, the more we learn about it, the more it intrigues us.

2 thoughts on “W6 Archaeology in the News

1. Actually, I saw this article while I was searching for my article for the past week archaeology in the news assignment. The first point that intrigued me in your post was when you wrote: “This is the place where the Greek god Zeus was born and raised.”. I always thought of Zeus as a mythological character. So, when I read that I started to wonder whether it is a place which people believed that Zeus was born and raised or if they found some archaeological evidence that he was born and raised there. Another aspect that fascinated me was that they had written sources that indicated human sacrifice but only now they have found other kind of archaeological evidence for that.

2. Seems like a lot of people chose this article this week, myself included. I wonder if it’s the correlation with ancient beliefs, the fact that discovered human remains are always interesting… or simply the fact that it was on the front page of Archaeology News Network.

It’s also cool how this relates a little to what we learned just this week about dating. They used the local pottery to date the remains approximately. I was surprised that they didn’t simply radiocarbon date the bones, but perhaps that’s just because they haven’t yet had the time to do so. These findings were very recent, after all.