W6 Archaeology in the News Post

When excavating a former oasis near Azraq, Jordan, a team led by archaeologist April Nowell of the University of Victoria found more than 10,000 stone tools that dated back to possibly 250,000 years ago.  But the most interesting aspect of this find is that 17 of 44 stone tools tested contained a protein residue on the outside which reveals direct evidence that these ancient hominins utilized these tools for the exploitation of specific animals for subsistence.  These researchers are now able to understand the specific diet of these peoples during this time and better understand how they obtained food.  This discovery directly relates to the chapter we have been studying this week as this discovery of these stone tools deals with testing and dating.  Because these stone tools were never living, these archaeologists have had to use relative dating using the superposition principle and comparisons with other stone tools.  Although they have not been able to use absolute dating techniques on the stone tools like radiocarbon dating, they have been able to do some types of testing such as the protein residue testing that revealed valuable information about the diet of these peoples.  But they might be able to use radiocarbon dating on artifacts around the stone tools found in order to obtain a relative date of the stone tools.

Source:  Archaeology News Network

Article:  “Archaeology team makes world-first tool discovery”

Author:  N/A

Date Published:  8 August 2016

Date Accessed:  12 August 2016

One thought on “W6 Archaeology in the News Post

1. This was an awesome read. The story telling was great and the opening sentence hooked me immediately. Whenever stone tools are found I think it is a big deal because they are found in so many different area and it tells me that early species of people were out and present in various locations. The detail of the piece is great, The description is even better. I would interested in knowing the diets of these early hominins and how they made their stones tools. I know based on a few lectures that they could be made in different ways and I wonder if they had certain uses for theirs or did they all serve the same purpose but for multiple people. I hope that these questions are answered someday and I can read about it and think back to this post.