I decided, using the Law of Superposition as well as seriation, that the chronological order of these vessels should be ACGIJBFKDELH.

1. it seems to me that vessels A and H don’t quite fit into this sequence.Vessel A, which I have assumed to be the oldest vessel based on the Law of Superposition as well as its overall difference from the rest of the artifacts, has a unique pattern that no other vessel resembles. Vessel A, which I have assumed to be the oldest vessel based on the Law of Superposition as well as its overall difference from the rest of the artifacts, haVessel H has what appears to be the most intricate decorations: it’s the only one which pairs applique and puncate decorations, it has other designs other than basic lines, and the decoration is over the entire body besides the bottom, whereas the other vessels with a similar bottom do not.
  2. I believed these distinct differences can be accounted for in a few different ways. For vessel A, it could be anything from the simple fact that it was from a cultural group that abandoned the site before the next one, which produced all the others. Or, it could be that they were in proximity to another group and adopted their techniques. As far as vessel H, which I have placed at the end of the sequence, I’ve mused that it may have been traded, since it was later in the lives of this cultural group and they could have just developed trade partners, or it could have been newly adopted techniques which quickly died. It’s really hard to say since both of these vessels are so different from all the others.
  3. Since vessel A was found deepest in the earth, the Law of Superposition concludes that it is the oldest one. I decided that I agree with this, due to superposition as well as the fact that it has features that set it apart from the rest. As far as vessel H, which has many features concerning the shape that are similar to others which I concluded to be sequential in chronology, its unique design techniques have pushed me to conclude that it belongs at the end of the chronology, making it the youngest artifact found.
  4. The stratigraphic ordering from Problem 1 was simpler and made the example easier to follow with fewer artifacts which had less features to compare. In this problem, with 12 vessels and numerous features to take into consideration, it was much harder to establish a clear sequence. I imagine this relates to real-life archaeology, and it has given me an understanding of how dating is done in the real world.

One thought on “W6 Reflection Post

1. My sequence was ACGBJIDKFELH, which seems to be very similar to yours! I also thought that Vessel H did not fit into this sequence, but I did think that A did. I had assumed that at one point in time, the only form of decoration was punctuate decoration, but they slowly strayed away from that and got more into painting decorations. I also placed Vessel H at the end, but I did not think about how it might have been traded. This problem also gave me a real understanding of how archaeologists conduct dating. It was extremely difficult for me, but interesting as well. Thank you for the wonderful insights and reasons of why you thought Vessels A and H did not belong.