-Following the rules of stratigraphy and the law of superposition, I concluded that the chronological seriation of the vessels was A, C, J, B, G, I, F, K, D, E, L, H. I considered what we have learned so far in this class about these laws when coming up with my sequence, however some factors can come into play that would debunk the natural laws of stratigraphy and superposition such as mixing or filling.

-I noticed that Vessel A does not match the sequence of the other vessels. Vessel A is the only one with applique and punctuate decoration over its entire surface. I noticed right away when I looked over all the vessels in figure 2 that there was something obviously different about the design on Vessel A and also on Vessel H. I couldn’t really place the design in a category that would match up with the others. Vessel H is the most similar to Vessel A because it does have applique and punctuate decoration on its stirrup. Those two vessels did not have a particularly odd shape, but their designs were unique from the others. I believe that the reason behind why the design on vessel A differs from the rest of the vessels is because Vessel A was built before the others. I don’t think that the reason for its different design is because it was built by people of a different culture, because all of the vessels were excavated from the same cemetery.

-In order to seriate these vessels, I perused the images and descriptions of the vessels A-H, and tried to logically estimate which vessel came next in chronological order based on the styles of the features of each vessel. After concluding that Vessel A was first, I found C to be very similar to A based on its look and description. Then I estimated J to come next, because it looks very similar and has punctuate decoration. One of the only differences between vessel C and J is that J has a more rounded bottom than C. Noticing these trends helps you to get the hang of seriating these vessels into a chronological order.

-Looking back at Problem 1 from week 3, I noticed that the sequence that I came up with correlates with the cultural sequence in the previous problem. In Problem 1, the fragments of pottery were of similar style and shape as the older vessels in problem 2. The fragments of pottery and the vessels of the oldest layers both had tendencies to carry the traits of punctuate and applique decoration, conical shaped spouts, and flanged rims. The more recent pottery fragments and vessels from both problems had trends such as a straight-sided spout, stripes, and triangular shaped stirrups versus round shaped stirrups.

One thought on “W6 Reflection Post

1. The chronological sequence is very similar to mine. It surely was a tough task to find out which pots came earlier and which later. It is true that many factors come into play such as mixing and filling between strata. We have to account for that too. But overall, I am sure many of us had a similar sequence. Also, vessel A was the one which did not seem to fit in. The decorations on the outside were very unique. I was also confused between vessel H and vessel A. But I eventually decided to go with vessel A. I also tried to look at the images and then see what logically makes sense in terms of chronological ordering.