Utilizing the sequencing method, seriation, the sequence that I thought was most appropriate was as follows: J,C,G,B,I,F,K,L,E,H. The oldest piece of pottery, J, was relatively simple. J had a rounded bottom that was decorated with punctate decoration, while its stirrup and spout had no decorations on them. The next piece, C, was nearly identical with a large rounded, punctate decorated body and no decoration on the stirrup or spout. Piece G’s body transitioned from the solid punctate decoration to vertical bands of alternating punctate decoration and undecorated bands. Following piece G, piece B was once again nearly identical to its predecessor. Next, piece I kept the same alternating bands aspect of the previous two pieces, however the bands transitioned to alternating between solid red paint and undecorated bands. Piece F maintained the same alternating red and undecorated bands, but lowered the number of bands from 7 to 5. Moving from F to K, piece K’s only new addition was that the spout was now decorated with horizontal bands as opposed to the formerly undecorated spout. Piece L makes a number of relatively big changes from piece K. L’s body moved to being cupcake shaped and having a flattened bottom, as well making the spout and stirrup taller and more narrow. Piece E then does away with the vertical bands on the body and adds horizontal bands in their place. Lastly, piece H keeps the same body shape as piece E, however is decorated very differently. H goes back to the vertical bands on the body, adds appliqué and punctate decoration on the stirrup, and alternates red and punctate bands on the spout.

• I was not able to place piece A into the sequence as it does not seem to fit with the rest of the pattern that I established. Its extremely complex design and appliqué decoration lead me to believe that it is much newer, whereas the punctate decoration and shape of the body seem closer to that of the earlier pieces of pottery.
  • This contradiction can possibly be explained by the deliberate attempt of the pottery makers to imitate earlier features. In such a case, I would account for this contradiction by placing it at the end of the entire sequence, after piece H.
  • The complex design and appliqué decoration indicate that this piece is the newest one, while the punctate decoration and shape of the body can be described as above: a deliberate attempt to replicate the features more common in earlier pieces of pottery.
  • The excavation done in problem 1 seems to lend credibility to my seriational ordering as the succession of pottery (and their respective designs) mostly correspond with that of my ordering.

1. Hello. Thank you for your post. I found that I had similar thoughts and reasoning as you do regarding Vessel A. The punctate decoration and the absence of paint really lead me to believe it to be older. Then I found myself thinking the intricate design and the addition of the applique would make it newer. I actually chose to do my own version of the matrix represented in the reading on an Excel spreadsheet. Doing that helped me to see that Vessel A and Vessel C were very, very similar in construction. While I “officially” placed Vessel A as the most recent, I really find myself feeling it should have been after Vessel C. You and I had very similar sequencing as well.

2. I really like your response about this seriation problem. You gave every single details on how you sequenced these vessels in order. Also, I really agree with your opinion that the decoration is shifting from punctate decoration to alternating bands. However, I did not realize until I read your comment above that the number of alternating bands is going down in the most recent one. Vessel A is the one that I also thought might also be the outlier out of all the other vessels due to its applique decoration. I

n short, I really like your way of thinking and it is very critical based on the information given.

3. I really appreciate the methodology that you used when sequencing the vessels. While I found a different sequence for the order of vessels, we had some similarities. I agree that Vessel H is the most recently created artifact. It displays unique decorations, yet follows the gradual paths of the vessels before it. I also agree that Vessel A does not belong in the sequence. The appliqué decoration is not found in any other artifact, and its other various characteristics did not neatly fall in line with the gradation of the other vessels’ characteristics. I did mention, however, that Vessel A displays some characteristics that are extremely similar to Vessel C (such as massive rounded strip and concave curved bottom), but it still could not be properly placed amongst the others.
    Thanks!

4. I feel like I’m the only one who didn’t think that A was the odd bottle out! Every post I check either omits A, puts it last, or just comments on it not belonging. I thought it fit fine, especially once we were told that the stratigraphy problem corresponded to this one. One of the earliest (and notably, undisturbed) layers had pottery with appliqué and punctate decoration!

That said, other than that our sequences weren’t really that different. I suppose that, in the absence of bottle A, I might have listed bottle J as the first bottle made, instead of putting it between C and G.