When visually comparing and then further reading the written descriptions of the vessels found within a single cemetery, that has been radiocarbon dated indicating the cemetery was used for around a thousand years.  It would seem to me that the order would be Vessel J, Vessel C, Vessel G, Vessel B, Vessel I, Vessel F, Vessel K, Vessel D, Vessel E, Vessel H, Vessel L, and then I would tentatively put Vessel A as the most recent, largely due to the decorating style present.   

The vessel that does not seem to fit in to the sequence would be Vessel A.  I tentatively placed Vessel A as the most recent. It was purely on the notion that perhaps the individual making the Vessel was drawing on an appeal of an older decorating style.  That has zero credibility however and I am rightfully conflicted about it.  On one hand the punctate decoration would suggest older.  However, the applique gives me pause to that assessment. There is no paint present on the vessel at all.  If the use of paint is presumably a more recent decorating technique, as has been proven in other sequences, the lack of paint on Vessel A suggests it’s older.  The overall shape, seems as though it could fit (within my sequence) after Vessel B.  Although it actually shares many of the same traits as Vessel C.  Both have short, massive conical spouts with flanged rims.  Both have massive rounded stirrups.  Both have convex-curved bodies with flat bottoms.  They both have punctate in their decorations as well.  It’s a bit of an anomaly because it doesn’t follow the general notion that stylistic changes happen gradually and not abruptly.  If one is to view the decorative addition of the applique as an abrupt stylistic change, that is.  As is suggested in the reading, perhaps a larger sampling would find more vessels that are similar to Vessel A, therefore filling in some stylistic gaps that seem to be apparent in this sampling put up for seriational ordering.  

Using the seriational ordering in this problem and then comparing it with the cultural sequencing of the strata in Problem 1, it seems to solidify that the seriational ordering process is a process that makes sound sense and has some credibility.  Obviously human variations on things will always be something that can’t quite fit in to the mix.  Such as Figure A doesn’t quite fit easily in to the mix. 

1. I like the detail in this piece as well as the structure. They both go hand in hand when you are answering the bulleted questions posed in the piece we reviewed. I agreed that vessel A was the odd one out. It seems as if you thoroughly assessed each Bessel to be sure of the order that you placed them in which is awesome and why your detailed response is remotely accurate. I do agree that it is hard to account for human disturbance and so it may be a bit difficult to iron things down completely. I overall enjoy the order of this piece, it was a good read.

2. I am really agree with you in terms of the vessel that would be an outlier, which is vessel A. However, my thought is that vessel A would be the oldest one among the other because of its punctate decoration, since the other vessels like vessel B, C are all have punctate decoration on it. Although, they have applique design which spanned on all the surface of the vessel which is quite different with the others and actually make it hard to predict. Overall, I like every details that you gave on this comment and how you describe the similarities and the differences between each other.

3. I also agree with you on the topic that Vessel A was the outlier. It is clear that out of all the other vessels in the sequence, it would seem that it creates a difference in pattern. The Vessel was the oldest and also the most unique with different structural patterns as such. I enjoyed your post as it explains all the vessels in depth and provides reasoning per each placement of the vessels. It also seems rather interesting that you arrive the same conclusions as others, many people agree that the vessel A was the odd one out. It was also a good conclusion to assume it could fit near vessel B.

4. I had quite a different estimated sequence, but I also found Vessel A to be unique and different from the other vessels. It clearly had a much different style and pattern. I actually placed Vessel A first, or the oldest of the vessels. I had a feeling it was much different in age than the rest. Also, looking back at problem 1, the older vessels had similar features to vessel A such as applique and punctuate design, and flanged rims. The more recent vessels tended to have tall and straight spouts, which helped me come up with my seriation estimation.

5. Overall, your seriation order was very similar to the one I had created. However, the major difference between yours and mine is that I thought that Vessel A would be the oldest vessel out of the group. I totally understand your side of the argument however. The applique decoration threw me off first as well, but the main reason I chose Vessel A to be the oldest was because of the fact that there was no paint on the surface. The more recent the vessels were, the more paint decorations they had. However, it is always possible for style to change so maybe the paint wasn’t desired anymore.

6. Beside the two vessels, A and J, which I put as the vessels that do not fit into the sequence, my sequence is quite similar with yours. Actually, I put A as the oldest one, but I really feels that the vessel A is quite different from others on its designing. And after reading this post, it feels to be an interesting idea to put the vessel A as the most recent one. Actually, I read many posts and most put A as the one that odd out, as it actually stylistic changes happen really abruptly regarding anyone else listed in that article. So I would not be surprised by any position it is placed.