The sequence I believe that is correct in seriating these vessels from oldest to youngest is: vessel A, vessel C, vessel J, vessel G, Vessel B, vessel F. vessel I, vessel K, vessel E, vessel D, vessel H, and lastly vessel L. I chose this sequence because of the design and style of each one and how each had little changes that differentiated it from the others. Also, through the use of superposition, it can be determined that vessel A should be the oldest because it was placed as A. This could still be wrong but based on what I’ve seen from each of these patterns, I believe this is the order from oldest to youngest.

1. Looking at each of the vessels, the one that seemed most out of place was vessel E, because of its unique style, such as the rounder base it has, no others seem to have this kind of feature. It has few similarities with vessel D which is because of the art style and scheme of the vessel, it only has the top half of its base similar to vessel D.
  2. I account for this by first going through each vessel individually and wonder why this sort of vessel was made and how come it is different than the preceding vessels. This helps me try and learn more about the difference between it and the other vessels and possibly establishing itself as one of the newer kind of vessels that started to make a transition to a different kind.
  3. Yes, there are certainly features that make me be able to differentiate it from the others and determine the sequence for it; such as the way how the base is rounder as opposed to the others, also in how the style of the vessel as a whole deviate from the previous ones and allowed me to guess that it was one of the newer vessels that was made. Because of this, it shows where it belongs and how different it is from the rest and also that it demonstrates the transitioning from one style to another.
  4. When looking and comparing the seriational ordering that I established and how it corresponds to the cultural sequence revealed by excavation in problem one, I think it compares pretty well. The traits that were found within vessel A showed that there are traits similar within stratum Q and also pottery fragments within the other strata. There is also a similar connection between stratum B and vessel L in the pottery fragments that were found which also fits into my sequence.

1. Darrell, it is interesting that you chose vessel E to be the vessel that is out of place, and rather started with vessel A as the beginning of the sequence. Now that you bring up this possibility, I can see where this would be possible. Vessel A did most closely resemble C, as I had said in my post, therefore I can see where you would relate A to C and on as you have. Because of this difference, our path of vessels does vary but this goes to show just how important having many different perspectives and experts look at the same data to gather and give consideration to all possibilities, not just one single person’s interpretation.

2. You made really good points in your blog post. I never really thought about what the after fact of excavating sites. All we hear and learn about is the research, excavating, examining and theories, conclusions etc. Sometimes we might learn that the artifacts discovered is put somewhere safe or in a Museum or something. If they don’t tell us that information we just assume that’s what happen. Therefore I really like your article and hopefully we can think before we dig because at some point of time these artifacts were important someone else and for us to lose them or misplace them is not right. I wonder what they do with the body’s they discovered. Do they reburied them?