This week was spent discussing dating techniques. As such we were give another of Patterson’s problems to read over and decipher. There are a series of bottles that we were given to look at with descriptions to match each. Each bottle has it’s own unique design but all have some common qualities.

• The first questions asks if there was one of the bottle designs in figures 2A-2L that did not fit the sequence. After looking at each of them the only one that does not seem to match the sequence is 2A. Based on another dating technique the earlier bottles are the oldest ones. If figure 2A is the oldest then it would make sense that it’s design is the one that does not fit the sequence. Where each other design has stripes or other designs, 2A has its own unique maze like pattern.
  • To account for figure 2A being the off bottle out, the best way that I could think of would be to use the law of superposition. Which states that materials buried earlier are older than those buried later. I would assume that since figure 2A has a weirder design that does not match any of the others then that would be the reason for it. Maybe techniques changed or something, who knows, but this is how I would imagine this is accounted for.
  • The only features that really show that it belongs in the sequence somewhat is that it is a bottle. like the others. It’s shape is all that really does this justice because the design isn’t like any other. The design to me states that this would go last in the sequence because it isn’t like the others. Maybe some would argue that it would go first in the sequence for the same reason, but without additional information it is honestly hard to say.
  • With the information provided to us in this piece its more interesting to take a step back and look at the excavation in the previous piece. The last piece was an excavation in which we used the law of superposition to determine the sequence of the burials. With what we have now in the seriation dating perhaps a more in depth look can be taken at the excavation site to determine the sequence in which the items were buried and the sequence in which the burials took place. We can also group items together based on their similarities and determine if they were buried together or separately.

Vessel order based on my interpretation: A,C,B,G,J,D,I,K,L,H,F,E

1. I find it interesting that you said that the only feature that bottle 2A shares with other bottles in the sequence is the fact that it is a bottle. For me, especially with the descriptions that were given, it seemed that bottle 2A and bottle 2C shared a lot of similar features. Their rim, stirrup, spout, body, and bottom were all described as being the same. They both shared many of these features with other bottles as well. So I guess I fail to see how the only thing matching 2A to the sequence is the fact that it is a bottle.

2. I focused my order not on the specific types of patterns in the art work on the bottles but on the shape and the type of decoration. I found it more important to categorize based on whether it used red paint or punctate design not on whether it was alternating patterns of the too. However, as bottle A was the only to be completely covered in punctate decoration I said it was the oldest because I would think different art styles, colors, and patterns would develop as a culture advanced. I focused on the shape of the bottles to come up with a similar order.