W7 Archaeology in the News Post

Out of all the article I have read and written about over the course of this semester, the one that has stuck with me the most was the one I read for Week Two Archaeology in the News Reflection Post. The article was information about anthropologists finding cave drawings and other objects within a cave of the highest altitudes in Europe. What fascinated me the most about this find is that not only did the cave hold drawings, pottery, tools, and other objects, but these objects spanned over the Bronze and Iron ages. This facts proves that people had been going to this cave for a long period of time, or somehow people from both ages were able to come across the same cave and left their possessions inside. I do not know if they left their possessions and went to seek food only to never return or left the objects as some sort of ceremony, but it is interesting to think about nonetheless. What is even more interesting is the fact that the paintings on the walls of this cave were not greatly affected by the weather over a period of hundreds of years. These paintings were exposed to the weather and the fact that they can still be made out is remarkable in itself.

3 thoughts on “W7 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I had a similar post. Out of the articles that I read through, throughout the entire semester the one that suck out to me the most was the artifacts and paintings that were found in the caves in Europe. The fact that these paintings preserved for so long shows that they were remarkable in quality. It was common that these people would seek out food and not return because of the horrific weather that they were exposed to and what conditions they had to survive in. Anthropologists can take away quite a lot of information just from having these remaining to learn from and further their studies. Out of the articles that I read through, throughout the entire semester the one that suck out to me the most was the artifacts and paintings that were found in the caves in Europe. The fact that these paintings preserved for so long shows that they were remarkable in quality. It was common that these people would seek out food and not return because of the horrific weather that they were exposed to and what conditions they had to survive in. Anthropologists can take away quite a lot of information just from having these remaining to learn from and further their studies.

2. That is a really interesting article! I love paintings and sculptures in Europe. I am currently in Italy and have visited many ancient ruins in the past couple weeks. I noticed that many of the ruins in Pompeii had drawings and pottery in them, and Pompeii is a very old city. It is fascinating how these objects spanned over different ages. I also think it is cool to look at how these objects such as pots, tools, and paintings have changed over the many generations that have used them. I agree with your statement about how paintings have been exposed to many different outside agents that may have caused these paintings to be ruined, yet they still stand. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

3. Lauren, I remember hearing about this article and reading about cave drawings earlier in the class, although I do not believe that the drawings were found in Europe as the ones here were. It is amazing to think of how long ago these were drawn, and the multitude of different cultures and people that produced these. The motivation for doing the cave drawings, making the pottery, uses for the tools, etc. all varies greatly between these times. Even if similar products are produced by separate cultures, the motivation behind them could be completely different. Preservation is also a very interesting topic, and is also very different depending on the changes the environment has experienced over time.