W7 Archaeology in the News

I genuinely enjoyed reading the archaeological new articles that we have read in this class. Reflecting on them, my favorite one isn’t technically one of the “Archaeology in the News” posts that we did, but the post I made for week 5 on the “Top 10 Discoveries of 2015” was my favorite. I chose to discuss the article called “Tracing Slave Origins”. I am so astounded by the technology we have today that helps us trace the origins of human remains by using next-generation DNA sequencing. It is amazing that the DNA of those ancient human remains is still able to be traced – and to be so intricately studied.

Being very interested in human anatomy, DNA sequencing, and the migration of early humans; this article really interested me into learning more about this type of DNA sequencing, and in DNA sequencing of ancient humans in general. I found it interesting how they compared the DNA of modern West African populations with the DNA of the Zoutsteeg Three in order to figure out the precise location of where the three humans originate. I am looking forward to what these scientists will be able to uncover in the future! I am glad that this class has made me appreciate how important archaeology, science and history are for each other. Each field of study enhances the other and helps us to find out endless information about the history of humankind. It is amazing how much of the world these professionals have studied and explored, and the fact that we are consistently learning and discovering more.

One thought on “W7 Archaeology in the News

1. I like every single detail that you mentioned above because I have the same perspective with you. My favorite in the Top 10 Discovery of 2015 is also “Tracing Slave Origins”, because I am so amazed that DNA sequencing technology can be used to identify ancient human remains and determine their origins. Initially, I thought DNA sequencing technology can only be useful for fresh isolated DNA, but turns out that it can sequence skeletons that have been buried for hundreds or thousands of years. I am curious what is the new technology coming up in the next 10 years or so.