W7 Archaeology in the News

Out of the others’ posts from archaeology in the news, I found the article titled “Archaeologists Identify Bodies of Lost Leaders of Jamestown” to be the most interesting. I really enjoyed learning about the discovery at this first British settlement. The materials that the individuals were buried with told us information about their status. I was blown away by the information that can be deduced by something such as lead content in bone remains. In the case at Jamestown, archaeologists were able to identify one man as being a high ranking aristocrat, since high levels of lead were determined to be caused by prolonged exposure to expensive drinking objects. I also learned a great deal from the article titled “Primate archaeology,” which I did one of my posts about. I had not previously thought about the possible lack of communication between the various fields of archaeology and different sciences. It is mind-blowing to think about the potential discoveries that have not been given the attention they deserve, as a result of miscommunications. In the case of this article, primatologists found material evidence that chimpanzees have used stone tools for thousands of years, and archeologists need to be a part of the next step of exploration into this find. He developed a new chimpanzee archeology discipline, in which the analyzation of primatology and archeology are molded.

5 thoughts on “W7 Archaeology in the News

1. The part that stuck out to me in your post was when you said “it is mind-blowing to think about the potential discoveries that have not been give the attention they deserve, as a result of miscommunications.” I completely agree and have to wonder what possible discoveries are on the horizon if only people would contact/share their work with the right group. As you pointed out, chimpanzee archaeology is a first step in what has potential to be an exciting new discipline. Hopefully more combinations like this come to light over the next few years. I know that just the idea of doing archaeology on what must be called “chimpanzee culture” is thrilling, and there’s likely more like it coming soon!

2. I remember seeing the article about Jamestown on one of the archaeology sites and I was also so interested that I had almost written about it. It is so intriguing how much detail and information that can be deduced just from the burials of 4 bodies. What I thought was interesting was that the archaeologists were able to apply meaning to the way the bodies were facing and able to distinguish their professions within their society solely based on what they were buried with and how they were buried. I agree with you and would definitely say that this was one of my favorite articles during this class.

3. I read that same Jamestown article and I also thought it was pretty dang interesting. The lead content in the remains found was a standout subject for me as well. It was pretty cool to see how they deducted their status back then based off the lead content. I never thought that would be possible, but hey I guess we learn something new every day, right? On the other hand, I did not read the primatology article you were talking about, but it sounds pretty interesting. I think it is really cool how primates have been using stone tools for so long too. It could even be possible that archaeologists have mistaken them for human tools, but who knows!

4. Among some other articles this was surely one of my favorite picks. Truly we can learn so much from these discoveries as technology has advanced very much. Being able to identify the level of social strata a person belonged that too a thousand year ago, is a very amazing task. Science with the combination of chemistry and biology is being used for making new tools which can help us better understand our past. We learned some great techniques which help us date an artifact, etc, in this course. I would also like to explore the scientific part of it. I hope to contribute to this community one day.

5. I also found the article titled “Archaeologists Identify Bodies of Lost Leaders of Jamestown” to be intriguing! What made it so interesting was that the archaeologists were identifying known people, instead of unknown human remains. I love history, so reading about these people of high status and learning about their culture was interesting. Another point from your article that stood out for me is the fact that miscommunications between professionals inhibit new discoveries. I think that a lot of articles that we read in this class do show that there is an existing communication between various fields of science and archaeology; such as the one about sequencing the DNA of the three African human remains found in the Caribbean. Good communication is a great thing, and is crucial for our further development of discoveries!