W7 Archaeology in the News Post

My favorite Archaeology in the News article is actually not from anyone’s blog post, but one of the articles from the “Top 10 Discoveries of 2015” website we had to read. (I hope this is okay!) I absolutely loved the “New Human Relative” one because of the implications of that find.

As I stated in that post, it absolutely amazes me that in a time where it feels like we know it all, we still have so much to learn. We are still finding hugely substantial bits of information that can change everything about what we know about our past, and also make a lot of people angry and confused – for instance, in regards to religion and what we believe from the bible. I can’t even remember which lesson we learned this, but it was proven that human beings have existed long before what the bible states (if you go by the lineages of the people included in the bible). Without obviously getting into religion too much, that kind of knowledge has huge ramifications and is not taken lightly by a lot of people.

On the other side of the spectrum, in the science world, it is equally as fascinating and draws up so many more questions and possibilities!

3 thoughts on “W7 Archaeology in the News Post

1. I remember the “New Human Relative” article from those discovery posts. I actually wrote about it that week and had a lot of similar reasonings as the ones you present in this post. I completely agree about how fascinating it is that perceptively we seem to know so much in the current moment, and yet we still can find fascinating and perspective changing items and artifacts on a daily basis. I also like how you point out the huge ramifications that finds, especially those in the manner of this one, can have on people all over the world. It may affect religious people in a different way, but it’s likely to effect all of humanity in one way, shape, or form.

2. I love how you said that we think we know everything but then we find something that changes everything we thought we knew. If I remember correctly it was just a skull in that article that lead to this. A skull, I am pretty positive I have had textbooks bigger than that, and some discoveries are even smaller. We get everything we thought we know changed by things that are so tiny. It is also important not to overlook things that are so tiny because we think we know everything. I think that is the coolest part about archaeology, big things coming in small packages.

3. My archaeology in the new reflection post was actually very similar to yours. I also picked ‘New Human Relative’ as my favorite article from the course. I have always been very interested in the evolutionary chain of humans. I also mentioned that I enjoy these kinds of articles because it makes me think we can learn something very big about our past at any time. I did not really relate it to or think about its ramifications from a religious point of view. That is very interesting though. I hope that we can eventually understand more about our ancestors and our history.