W7 Archaeology in the News Reflection Post

I honestly found all of the Archeology in the News posts incredibly interesting. I love seeing how things we are learning about in class apply to real life and how they are used and seen in people’s everyday lives.

One of my favorite articles that I read about was actually my own about the excavation of a neighborhood in the middle of ancient Jerusalem. One of the coolest things about this excavation was how, in the article, the archeologists described how they used clues in the houses to hypothesize who lived there. In the article, the archeologists mentioned how they had found bathtubs in the houses. This seems like such a minor detail because today a lot of houses have bathtubs so it does not seem like that big of a deal, but when you look at history, and look at how people lived in ancient Jerusalem, it reveals a lot about who was living in these houses.

Because of this one clue they found about the houses having bathtubs, they were able to hypothesize that these houses were owned by the wealthy ruling class because bathtubs were extremely expensive and common people could not afford them. I think this article really highlights an important idea about archeology, that every little detail is a piece of a puzzle and even one tiny piece can show you the whole picture.

6 thoughts on “W7 Archaeology in the News Reflection Post

1. I think you really made a great point in this reflection post. It is just truly amazing how much information and knowledge we can gain from very small, artifacts and very minute details. Archaeologists are essentially constantly solving puzzles and trying to put pieces together to solve the puzzle of the past. I think that this article can easily be seen as a favorite because it demonstrates this incredible aspect of archaeology. But since these archaeologists create hypotheses from minimal information, it would be very interesting to know how many of these archaeologists’ theories are actually true and how many are completely wrong.

2. I love how things we would so easily overlook today are like massively important to understanding sites and cultures. It is like a perspective change that archaeologists have, they can block out their normal perspective to understand what they are seeing to study. I did not really understand that before this course, archaeologists do not just dig up things and know exactly what they are and what they mean. They look at things they would find in their own homes and look at them differently. It is pretty amazing that they can do that and it can lead to all these awesome discovering we have talked about.

3. I really enjoyed this article as well. I remember reading it before hand and it came to mind when this topic came up to chose an article. There are so many things that we don’t look at when it comes to understanding the many different cultures. One of the biggest things this article illustrated was that the archaeologists can not only just look for artifacts, but also contribute to the findings and knowledge about culture. They found information and made small assumptions about it and it was rather impressive when it came down to it. It is rather amazing how archaeologists are able to do this accurately.

4. I really like how you put together this reflection post. First off, I totally agree with you that it is really cool to see how the information we learn in this course is being used in the real world. I also love how you say that every little detail matters in archaeology and how it’s like putting the pieces of a puzzle together. I’ve never heard that analogy but I absolutely love it because it could not be more true. It was pretty cool how just one little detail from that excavation provided so much information for the archaeologists to make their hypothesis.

5. It’s true, every news blog post was interesting in its own way. Jerusalem has always been on my top list of places to visit. Knowing more and more about its history has always been fascinating. Using just a small artifact such as a bathtub, they were able to hypothesize as to who lived there. Bathtubs are a usual item in a bathroom these days. Almost every house will be having one. But when talking about history it is of great significance. All these little commodities which we think are useless might one day be of great importance to our future generations. I like how you said that it is a small piece of the puzzle which is a great analogy.

6. I really agree that all of the archaeology in the news posts are interesting and I feel like I learned so much from reading those articles because it is all about applications in the world of archaeology. Without reading these set of articles, my understanding of archaeology will be very superficial, and only depend on lectures, books and previous knowledge. So, I think all archaeology in the news posts had led us to the correct perspective about archaeology.

Furthermore, the article that you reviewed sounds really attracted. I have not read it before but you made it sounds like it was a huge discovery that help to depict ancient people lifestyle in Jerusalem.