- Lecture: 5.1. Style, Form, Function, and Technology (10 minutes)
- Lecture: 5.2. Lithic Analyses (18 minutes)
- Lecture: 5.3. Ceramic Analyses (17 minutes)
- Lecture: 5.4. Graduate Student Research: Interpreting Morton Village (1–2 minute segments totaling 10 min)
- PDF: 5.1. Renfrew, Colin and Paul Bahn (2008) Chapter 7: How Were Artifacts Made, Used and Distributed? In Archaeology Essentials: Theories, Methods, and Practice.
- Video: 5.1. Legacy of Stone (Archaeology Channel) (25 minutes)
- Link: 5.1. Visit the “Top 10 Discoveries of 2015” article and review each of the 10 finds (each is a couple paragraphs), then see assessments for the Reflection Blog Post prompt.
*Don’t miss the film at the end of the Baby Bobcat in Illinois write-up! Only 8 minutes long.
- 15-Question MC Quiz (15 pts):
- Focus: over Renfrew and Bahn chapter 7, lecture and film
- Reflection Blog Post (20 pts):
- Title: W5 Reflection Post
- Category: W5 Reflection Post
- Prompt: (400 words) Visit the Top 10 Discoveries of 2015 and review each of the 10 finds (each is a couple paragraphs), then write your blog. In your post, start by listing and answering these questions: 1. Which discovery do you think is #1 – THE best?, 2. Describe the cultural material and its context, 3. What interpretation is made? Your blog post should consider the following: Why did you pick this as #1? What stirred your interest in this and other of the top 10 finds? What surprised you about the top ten discoveries overall?
- Reflection Blog Comment (5 points each):
- Prompt: (100 words each) Visit at least two other people’s reflection posts from this week (Top 10 discoveries) and leave a comment on each.