California Girl

Hey Class! My name is Taz and I am a doctoral candidate in the Medical Anthropology Program at MSU. I grew up in Southern California and graduated from UC Irvine in Biology and Anthropology. I am definitely a California girl at heart: I love the beach, flip flips, and frozen yogurt. In my free time, I LOVE to play soccer. Unfortunately, I tore my ACL last fall playing indoor and am recovering from my surgery. At least its giving me enough time to work on my dissertation and of course, this online class! Something else interesting about me is that I coach a learn to row program in Lansing for adults. Its a great excuse to get out of my office and onto the water in the evenings.

I am in the course because… well… I am the instructor! This is the first time this course is being offered so I am really excited to see how this goes. I taught ANP 201 last summer but this time, I get to teach in my own field and have more control over the course content. I really hope you guys get something out of this course – I can’t wait to meet you all!

Here’s a picture from my soccer team at soccer zone last summer. If you want to learn anything else about me, feel free to visit my personal website: www.tazinkarim.com

5 thoughts on “California Girl

1. Hey Taz,
    You seem like a fun instructor, sounds like it’s going to be a good course. Sorry to hear about your ACL. I’m curious about your research you talked about in one of your practice videos. I’m guessing you’ll bring that up some time in the course though. Good meeting you!

2. Hi Taz
    I think this class sounds really interesting I’m glad I enrolled! I think I’m finally getting the hang of this site. I know how you feel about the knee, I messed mine up pretty badly in high school from cheerleading. Hope it gets better! have a great 4th I look forward to the class!

3. Hi Taz!
    You seem very cool, & your class sounds like its going to be really interesting, I’m looking forward to this semester. I agree about the beach & so forth (being from West Michigan) Also, LOVE soccer.. recently started playing again after yrs away from it; bummer about the knee though. Have you been watching the Euro? Anyways, have a great holiday!

4. I am extra jelly that you got to grow up in southern California! I have been to San Diego twice and LA once. I love it there and I am going back in August. I can’t wait! My top pick for grad school is USC and I want to make a permanent move to the LA area. I love the beach, the sun, and big cities, so its perfect!

5. Hello Taz,
    I’m looking forward to learning more about Medical Anthropology and cant wait to get into the class. I’ve never been to California but I hear that they have some pretty good mountains for snowboarding. Have a good holiday!