Biological

I chose the biological approach to be the most useful in studying health. I feel that a persons or group of people’s genetic makeup is very important to one’s health. I think genetic is important when talking about disease and health. Also I think that the environment that a person or a group of people reside in very important to how one lives their life and what factors they are exposed to because of the environment they live in and the choices they make because of that environment.

Disease is the physical expression of a sickness causing abnormal function of the body. Illness is the how a person responds to the disease and how they understand the sickness to be inside their body. I think it not that obvious to me the distinction between the two. I think I have a hard time seeing the difference. I still feel like both disease and illness are ways of saying how the sickness is disrupting the body’s normal function.

Miner is writing about the American culture in the Nacerima article. I realized this toward the end of the article but the whole time I kept thinking of the similarities between the Nacirema and America. I just thought the current American culture borrowed their ideas which would have been easy since right off the bat it states they were from North America but just more prevalent at an earlier time in history.

One of the rituals described was the holy mouth man who is obviously the dentist who you should see twice a year. Also with the bundle of hog hairs that is inserted into the mouth and moved around is another part of the dentistry practice of brushing ones teeth with a toothbrush daily. Another ritual that caught my attention was having a separate practitioner known as the listener. I thought of this person to be a psychologist. I also liked how he made the whole mothers bewitching their children. I saw that as having mother issues and thought was smart to address it like that. Also Miner talks about the ritual to change a person’s weight and breast size just like how we in the American culture who are obsessed with the same ideas do the same with cosmetic surgery.