Ecological Approach

Out of the six approaches the one that I think will be most useful to me in studying health is the ecological approach. The ecological approach is important because it is a branch of biology that deals with the relationship between an organism and their physical environment.  People are basically a product of the environment. Humans have the ability to contract and spread diseases within their environment. Our society also plays a role in pollution and people make unhealthy eating choices as well. When it comes to pollution in our society this has a negative impact on people and our environment because it can open the door to new diseases that did not exist before. According to the video the ecological approach is based on the relationship between organisms and their total environment.

It is through their relationship that our society can understand how diseases develop and spread through a population. The goal of any eco-system is to maintain balance. Balance is symbolic in a sense because in life people strive to have balance to live a healthy and successful lifestyle. In turn if humans do not take care their environment then it will have a negative impact on their health. We need to continue to replenish and invest in our environment instead of depleting our natural resources and polluting our environment with waste. I picked this approach because the ecological approach can help us increase our awareness about our environment. The ecological approach can also help us improve our environment, our natural resources like water and the air we breathe. As a result this positively impact human health by improving the environment we live. There is a direct correlation between a person and their physical environment.

I do not believe there is legitimate distinction between disease and illness. They are both intertwined and mean the same thing. In our society illness is classified as a disease and in some cases this term is used interchangeably with disease to describe different health conditions. When it comes to disease in our society it usually represents the overall alignment or disorder that the person is experiencing. But, this could be said for illness as well. I believe there is no real distinction between disease and illness and it is not obvious to me because their meanings are closely related. What Miner is talking about in the Nacerima article is about American culture and our health wellness concepts that we use. I realized this in the second paragraph Miner stated that “the chopping down of a cherry tree in which the Spirit of Truth resided”. This statement showed how our society relies on our natural resources and spiritual practices to promote good health in our society. Miner’s statement brings back the ecological approach and shows us how people are a product of their environment and use their physical environment like chopping down a tree to better their health.

2 thoughts on “Ecological Approach

1. I thought your ideas about the ecological approach were very interesting. It is interesting to think about how this approach could help us figure out ways to change the environment to make us healthier and lower our health problems. While I think all six of the approaches are important to the study of health, for me the most helpful would be the experiential approach. I think this approach would be the most useful for me because it is the approach that deals with how people fell about and perceive their own illness. This would be helpful to me to remember the full impact of the diseases, and not just what they do, but how they affect the people that suffer from them.

I think that people today do rely heavily on their environment to improve their health; a lot of the pharmaceuticals we use have some organic compounds to them, which are taken from our environment. Unfortunately, as a society, we do not really seem to care how we affect our environment, which has led to more health problems for us as we destroy our environment. In his article, I do not think Miner addresses this part of our society at all.

2. Interesting argument that there is no distinction between illness and disease – would you recommend an alternative way to categorize or conceptualize health problems? Also, what are some examples of traditions discussed in the article?