Flu

I define health as the nonappearances of disease and the body maintains homeostasis. When a person is in good health the mind, body, and well-being should be too. My ideas of health come from many sources for example my family, media, school, friends, and doctors as well. They all play a factor for me defining health the way I do. Especially in the media we see  so many ads about getting healthy to live a longer life. Illness is a sense of not being normal and healthy. The deciding factors for my definition of illness are friends, books, media, teachers, and doctors.

First is anxiety I believe it can be consider an illness because it is pondered to be a mental illness. Anxiety is a “distress of uneasiness of the mind caused by fear of danger or misfortune”. The definition alone is the reason why I say it can be could an illness. People I believe with anxiety don’t feel normal and my definition of illness is not feeling normal and healthy.

Second is sadness it was kind of hard for me to decide whether it’s an illness or it’s not because sadness is emotion. Also if you’re sad you could have a perception of your not being healthy. So I say sadness can be considered to be an illness. Sadness is defended as being affected by unhappiness or grief. Sadness can affect your health cause some people might not eat when they are sad causing themselves to become sick.

Third is the Flu I believe it can be considered to be an illness. The Flu also known as influenza is a viral infection that affects the respiratory system. When you have the flu your body is not in the stage of health. The Flu I believe more in the disease category more than it is in the illness category.

2 thoughts on “Flu

1. I also agree that being healthy is more of the absence of disease and being in a state of homeostasis than anything else. The media does have a say in how most people perceive illness, but it seems to me that this influence is secondary to the familial and cultural impacts for people in our society.
    I think that most people would agree with you that the flu is an illness. I cant think of any culture offhand that would consider it to a small issue, or one that a person can be recognized as healthy in when he or she is sick from Influenza. A good region to look at with regards to the Influenza virus is eastern Asia, more specifically China. Their have been multiple Influenza outbreaks in the last hundred years that have caused them to take the threat of outbreak much more seriously than most other cultures. Since China also has such a large amount of people in its cities, the flu can infect people at a greater rate, which only magnifies the chances of an epidemic. They have dealt with this by increasing health awareness regarding the influenza virus and taking measures such as advising the use of electric ventilators and antiviral medication.
    http://asianhistory.about.com/od/asianenvironmentalhistory/p/flupandemics.htm

2. Mental illness is treated differently across different cultures. Even within the United States, the diversity of ethnic groups causes doctors to look at each case individually. Anxiety, in a broad spectrum, is usually easily diagnosed and symptoms can vary between individuals. The reasons that people suffer from anxiety will also vary and this seems to show among different cultures. Different ethnic groups within the United States share some of the same values that are not really seen in the dominant culture of the US. Family, religion, the value of elders, and less focus on the individual are similarities seen among Hispanics, Asian Americans, and African Americans as well as others. These are values have almost disappeared in our society that emphasizes youth and individual growth. Different treatments and approaches may be necessary when dealing with different cultural groups. Hispanics may be more open to medication as apposed to therapy sessions because they tend to keep health conditions within the family. Japanese culture have different codes of conduct and expectations that may cause a social phobias. They may also be subject to other types of anxiety, the example being that in Japan people develop anxiety about causing anxiety in others.

The American Journal of Psychiatry, VOL. 156, No. 10
    Cultural Issues in the Treatment of Anxiety
    PETER P. ROY-BYRNE, M.D.
    http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=173765