Not Just a Paycheck

1. I thought I would have done a lot better on the health equity quiz but I honestly did pretty terrible. The statistics that I found most surprising was that Latino immigrants have better health when they arrive to the U.S. and then their advantages disappear. I thought this was interesting because I would have thought that the U.S. if anything would improve their health, but it makes sense because health care is so expensive here. Also I thought the fact the the top 1% of American families own more wealth than the bottom 90% combined. That is just terrible and is not right at all, it honestly just makes me sad because it just shows how they have so much unnecessary money.

2. The case study I chose to watch was “Not Just a Paycheck.” I was about a company Electrolux from Greenville Michigan closed and moved to Mexico. The workers in Michigan received $15 an hour plus health benefits while in Mexico they were able to pay the workers made $1.57 an hour. Many people were laid off but the company had to do what was best for them. It added $1 million a year to the company. It goes on to examine the consequences of job loss, which prove to be enormous. It shows that it is not just a lost job the stresses of money bring people sleep loss, nausea, anxiety, depression. It brings people to overeat and lead to obesity and with obesity comes all sorts of health problems. It adds such a stress on these people it is so sad. Some people just don’t know how to cope with the issues of being laid off. It was interesting too because it showed that after Electrolux closed at the nearby hospital the cases for depression increased so much. It shows that even with areas of development, urbanization, and globalization circumstances happen like loosing a job and because money is so important by means of survival here it creates all kinds of health problems.

3. Politics influence the development and spread, and treatment of illness because with their help politics can completely help a population, with advances in who is able to get medical care. Economics can influence because it has to do with the amount of wealth a person of area has so they more wealthy it is able to help the spread of illnesses, and allowing people the ability to get treated. Environment plays a big part as well because a more undeveloped environment might not have the necessary medical devices to treat illnesses which cause them to spread. Cultures can perceive illnesses differently. This could mean that a culture is about a holistic or spiritual approach which could lead to the spread of an illness because they aren’t getting treated as how someone in our culture would see fit. In biology some people may develop illnesses easier then others and also could have been given a genetic disease which keeps the disease spreading. Individual choice is your own beliefs and by certain choices a person can put themselves in positions to get illnesses like smoking can lead to cancer. Some people may even make the choice to not get treatment for an illness.

2 thoughts on “Not Just a Paycheck

1. I one possible solution to this health problem could be for the government to come into areas where bigger companies have moved out and left many people without a source of income and to give a way to make money to these workers until they are able to find work again. Also the government could also give incentives to other privet companies to come in and fill the void left when the first big companies like Electrolux move out of the area. This would create more jobs for the people who were laid off. This is definitely a political solution to this problem. I think the big company who left the area should be the ones responsible for helping these people to find jobs again or notifying the government so they can help in some way. I think the pros to this solution would be that the people who were laid off can find work again and with that a paycheck. This would bring down their stress levels leading to healthier lives and less illness. Also this could be an advantage for the new company that could come in and may create even more jobs. The biggest con for this solution would be that until a new company comes into play then the American tax payer will be footing the bill for the unemployed.

2. The fallout from job losses can be crippling to communities, and the current trends of outsourcing and laying-off employees in mass require that we find ways to alleviate these repercussions. As with most problems with economic roots, the solutions to unemployment’s effects on health will primarily have to be implemented by the government. We can’t count on individual people, communities, and businesses to counteract this situation. The government cannot financially support every unemployed citizen, nor can it stop businesses from carrying out the cuts they need to stay profitable, but it can do better to alleviate the problem. First, much of unemployment is simply a protracted time between jobs. The government needs to provide resources to the jobless to help them successfully transition to a new job as quickly as possible. While the free market dictates that businesses suffer under government regulation, requiring businesses to give more forewarning to employees before layoffs could help prevent the shock of sudden joblessness. A solution along these lines would give people more time to physically and mentally prepare for unemployment. If they were made aware of lay-offs weeks or months in advance, they would be better able to conserve their resources and begin the search for a new job while retaining a steady income for a short period of time. This plan also would have its own problems. Government regulation of business like this would face steep opposition from conservative champions of the free market. They would accurately cite that requiring businesses to delay all changes of location or employment would prevent companies from cutting their losses and moving quickly to stay afloat. I would argue that preserving the health of communities that depend on businesses for employment greatly outweighs avoiding red tape in businesses.