Title: Choose a subjective medical condition from this week’s materials that is contested in our culture (e.g. fibromyalgia, RLS, chronic pain, bipolar, post-partum depression, etc.)
Body: (300-400 words)
- Elaborate on the medical condition in your title and explain how culture and biomedicine can influence the illness experience? Use examples from the course materials to explain your answer. If you use outside sources, make sure to cite them.
- How do you think this influences the management and treatment of this condition?
- What do you think the connection is between belief and healing? Use examples from the film “Placebo: Cracking the Code” as well as your own experiences.
Comment: (200-300 words)
- Select a post that discusses a different contested medical condition
- What are your own biomedical and cultural perceptions of this illness?
- Now that you have gone through the course materials, where do you think these views came from?
Category: “W3 Reflection”
Post Due: Friday 7/27
Comment Due: Sunday 7/29