True Life: I’m allergic to everything

I am huge fan of the show True Life and have watched all the episodes they have produced. True Life: I’m allergic to everything are about two young people dealing with the never ending allergies. Raelyn is a seventeen year old female who was recently diagnosed with idiopathic anaphylaxis. She has petrifying allergic reactions basically to any kind of food she consumes.  Her condition causes her to go into anaphylactic shock and most of time leads her be hospitalize. Raelyn keeps Benadryl and epi pens on hand to suppress the reaction from getting worst.  End the end Raelyn goes to college and chose to go see homeopathic doctor since biomedicine hasn’t not seemed to work. Choosing the homeopathic doctor helps her out at the end. Zeke is a sixteen male  who has been diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis which is when the body sends at white blood cells to attack his throat if he eats anything he is allergic to. In the beginning the video he is any allowed to any seventeen different types of food. Zeke also has to drink hefty amounts of unrefined tasting formula to get the nourishment his body needs. Throughout the episode he goes through food trials hoping to expand his limited food group and reduce his formula intake. At the end he gets to enjoy bacon in a long time but his intake has increased.

The Quest narrative is the one I picked because it seem to go perfect with I’m allergic to everything video. Lecture 2 says with quest narrative the illness is seen as a journey and “opportunity to improve themselves”. Raelyn and Zeke believe in the future their illness will not have such a hold on their lives. The episode being showed on MTV has made their illness a shared narrative.

There was really no know stigma involving them but their illness was not understand many people.

Raelyn and Zeke both do take on some aspects of the sick role like going to the doctor to help with their symptoms.  They don’t use their illness to get out of responsibilities they do their best to make sure their illness does not get in the way.

The second lecture talks about the illness narrative and the benefits for the patients, family, and health providers. The patient also known as the suffer can make more sense of their illness and having a feeling empowerment. For the ones who listen like doctors, friends and family can have a better understand of what the suffer is going through.