True Life: I Have Diabetes

The medical condition I am going to talk about is diabetes.  Kids, teenagers experiencing this illness feel isolated, different from their friends, out of the loop so-to-speak.  There are things they cannot do that their friends can because of their diet and medication restrictions. They have to acknowledge that they have this problem, see a physician, and be excused from their regular responsibilities at times. They are set apart. They do however at some point have to accept their disease, deal with it, and do what they need to do to keep it in control.  It is ultimately, their responsibility for their health.  That can be an overwhelming task for a teenager.

This influences the management and treatment of diabetes, because kids do not always want to follow the regimented routine of diet, exercise, shots and medication required by this disease. They want to be like others kids.  It is hard for most kids to accept. This makes management of the disease difficult for physicians, because non-compliance can be an issue with teens.

There is a deep connection between belief and healing.  These kids have to believe they can control their diabetes, follow their diet, and take their insulin (if that is required). The power of positive thinking and believing you will recover makes a big difference. In “Placebo: Cracking the Code” the boy with the warts on his skin was cured of a disease is uncurable most of the time.  Also, it was strange how the woman with depression was “cured” with placebos.  With me, I had breast cancer, which could have gone either way, but I had to believe in the positive and I believe it made a difference in my recovery.  I thought it was sad in the movie about the man who found out he had cancer and died and the cancer was not bad enough to have been the cause of his death.