Male Postpartum Depression

Male post partum depression is a problem that we do not often hear about.  According to postpartumprogress.com, “postpartum depression in dads tends to co-exist along side of, and follows, a mom’s postpartum depression”.  One of the largest problems with male postpartum depression is that the symptoms are different than those of female postpartum depression.  “Many men don’t relate to the classic descriptors of depression such as feeling sad or crying.  Cynicism, impulsiveness, indecisiveness, working constantly and losing interest in sex are just a few symptoms of male depression that may surprise you”.  Culture can have an adverse effect on the illness experiences of both men and women suffering from postpartum depression.  This is because there is such a great social stigma placed on people suffering from postpartum depression.  Although we now know that is a real problem, in the past it was believed to be the result of the mother simply being cold and not trying hard enough.  The symptoms are still those that we associate with weakness of character and it would be easy to pass judgment on someone suffering from postpartum depression and think that they simply do not love their child enough.  Thankfully the biomedical system has become much more accepting and understanding of postpartum depression as a real problem deserving of their attention.  This new acceptance is making the management and treatment of postpartum depression more widespread and access to treatment is easier to get.

I think that belief and healing are very closely linked.  Awe learned in the lecture that just having a positive attitude is beneficial and has lead to better treatment outcomes.  In “Placebo: Cracking the Code” we saw the efficacy of belief with the knee surgery clip.  One of the subjects has gone 7 years without any knee pain after having the placebo surgery.  The case of the depression trial also showed how one woman’s belief treated her depression.  After being told there was a 50% change that she would be on the placebo she immediately began to see results and was convinced that she was given the true drug when in fact she was given the placebo.  In terms of m own experiences, I would say that having a good attitude and expecting to get better has definitely helped me heal faster.  I used to get sick a lot and when I would dwell on my sickness and expect that I wouldn’t feel better, I would feel worse.

http://postpartumprogress.com/depression-in-men-a-dads-story-of-male-postpartum-depression