Life/Death

Biomedicine plays a huge role in our society.  Even though it is the norm for us it still has a culture of its own.  As seen in the lecture the cultural areas of biomedicine are- the institutional history of biomedicine, the language of biomedical facts and the rituals of biomedicine.  As we saw in the article this week about surgical room procedures, our culture is how the surgeon gets dressed and how the tools are used and taken out of the sterile packaging.   I think this is very important because it helps to make the patient feel safe.  Although this is the culture for us it make not be for other cultures.  As we have seen in earlier materials there are a lot of religious and spiritual rituals in other cultures.

The dichotomy I chose to talk about is life and death.  Most people would think those are two very straightforward topics but they are not.  There are many grey areas involved with life and death.  Depending on the person, life can be described very differently.  Some think that life begins at time of conception.  Others believe it is around 24 weeks in the womb or after the mother has given birth.  Death can be described in different ways also depending on the person.  Death can be when you take your last breath.  Death can also be if you are brain-dead or on life support.  I think that life begins at the time of conception and that death is when you take your last breath.  My views on life and death came from how I was raised religiously.

I think this dichotomy is accepted as logical because in our society everyone knows the difference between life and death, even if there are different views of when life starts and when death occurs.  It is seen as natural because everyone that is born is eventually going to die.  This is something everyone knows. It is a natural part of life.  This is seen as true because there is no in-between with life and death.  You are either dead or alive.