Sexual Health in India

There has been many issues regarding sex in India. One problem in particular is HIV. The rates of HIV are extremely high in India. Not only is this a concern, it is a major concern for the age group in which HIV is spreading. HIV is rapidly spreading in young people between the tender ages of 15-24. There are several reasons why HIV is spreading among Indians and research scientists continue to search for answers.

One major problem among the Indian population is condom usage. A lot of Indians do not use condoms. Condom size is a major problem for Indian males. It is found that the size of Indian males’ penises are 2 inches too short in size for the condoms that are in local stores.¬†For a further 30 percent, the difference was at least 2 inches. A poor fit meant the prophylactics often didn’t do the job they were bought for, and led to some tearing or slipping off during use (msnbc.msn.com).

From reading the article, they did not mention a solution or even a possible solution to this problem. Personally, I think a perfect solution to this problem would be to make condoms specifically for Indian men. This way, the rate of the spread of HIV will slow down and people will not have to worry about the condom slipping off all the time.

It is also said that many Indian men are embarrassed to ask for condoms because of their penis size. By making customized condoms specifically for Indian men, I think that they will be less embarrassed to ask for them or less embarrassed to go purchase them. I have not witnessed any article or anthropologist in an article to try to solve this problem.

The problem is talked about a lot but not the solutions. In the Indian culture, a lot of them are also against teaching sexual education because they do not consider it education. I think that the Indian culture should be more open to this because if more people were educated, there would be less HIV going around.

Sources

http://www.popcouncil.org/pdfs/wp/seasia/seawp19.pdf. August 10, 2012.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16157113/ns/health-sexual_health/t/condoms-big-problem-men-india/#.UCWTh51lTlY. August 10, 2012.

This entry was posted in W6 Activity by Shavon Alexander. Bookmark the permalink.

About Shavon Alexander

My name is Shavon Alexander. I am a Human Development and Family Studies major. I will be a junior in the fall. I am looking forward to learning new things about illness and culture in this class. I plan on going to medical school so I am really excited about this course!