CSI

Hey everyone! My name is Cheyenne and I am a sophomore here at Michigan State University. I am double majoring in Anthropology and Criminal Justice hoping to one day be part of a Forensics team. I am not only taking this class because it will count towards graduation, but because I am genuinely interested in learning about the medical take on anthropology. I have taken other anthropology classes before, but I have never been introduced to the medical side so Im not sure what to expect from this class

.President

Aside from aspiring to help solve murders, I am passionate about helping others. In the summer of 2011, I was fortunate enough to had won a trip down to San Diego to attend a conference called the Fourth Estate hosted by an organization called Invisible Children. The Fourth Estate believes in equal value of all human life. The Invisible Children organization was founded to help stop Joseph Kony and the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) from abducting and killing children in Central and East Africa. This trip to San Diego that I won, was because I had worked hard to help these children get back on the right path after escaping the army. In high school, I was president of a club called Four Corners that helped raised money to send down to these children. We had participated in a fundraiser that was called Schools for Schools which intended to provide African children with a better education. We ended up raising and sent down over twenty thousand dollars to Uganda that was to be spent on the building of schools. Not only that, but this money helped to improve water and sanitation, helped construction of facilities, helped buy books and supplies, and it helped with teacher development. It really is a great feeling to know that I have helped these kids get back into a school.

1. Taz Karim says:

Hi Cheyenne – welcome to the course! What a great introduction and an amazing story. I actually worked with a professor in CJ on a project looking at male sexual violence in Africa during times of conflict. It was a hard project to work on but certainly an important one (as many of these issues are). I look forward to reading your posts and seeing how to connect your own interests in forensics to the course materials.

2. Amber Hauck says:

Hey Cheyenne!

One tip coming from someone who used to be a huge forensic anthropology buff, take as MANY as Dr. Fenton’s classes as possible! He’s amazing. I realized I was absolutely horrible at forensics because I have a poor attention to detail, but hopefully you just love it! 🙂

3. clarke28 says:

It’s cool that you’re going into forensics because I am as well! I originally wanted to go into forensic anthropology, but I’ve recently changed to pathology. Also, all your accomplishments so far sound amazing! You’ve contributed a lot of help for being only a sophomore in college. Keep up the good work!