Chronic Fatigue

My definition of health was a well being of physical and mental states of the body. My definition of illness was pretty much the exact opposite. Illness to me is an unfavorable and unnatural state of physical and or mental sickness of the body.  Although the two terms in my opinion are pretty much antonyms, I decided that health was a much more broad term than illness.  There are many opinions as to what is considered healthy or unhealthy based on cultural and personal feelings. Illness is also a commonly used term in relation to health.  Although commonly used, I think the term is bit more specific.  I find illness to be a state of unfavorable and unnatural sickness of the body, meaning that others that are considered “healthy” do not have this condition.

The terms healthy and illness meanings are different for many.  The meanings of the words may have extreme meaning for some people or very little meaning to others.  I think there are various reasons why there is a broad spectrum of value for these words.  Most importantly, I think family and personal experience would have the strongest effect on how an individual views these words. A person’s upbringing has a very strong effect on how you lead the rest of your life.

I choose chronic fatigue as my title because I believe it was a tricky term to diagnose if it is an illness or not.  I concluded that chronic fatigue is most likely not an illness rather a condition brought on by underlying illnesses.  The second term I am choosing to discuss is anxiety.  I believe anxiety to be an illness. It is an unnecessary and sometimes uncontrollable illness. It affects the body mentally and physically. Thankfully there is treatment for anxiety whether it be meditation and mindful breathing or being treated with medication.

1. Jacqueline Godin says:

Hello, first of all I would like to say that you do make a good point about chronic fatigue and how it can be due to underlying illnesses, but I do believe it to be an illness itself. In our culture and others, such as in China, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is a common illness that is commonly treated. I found an article comparing the treatments for CFS between Western Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine.

The article stated that today, many treatments in Western medicine require taking pills to get rid of the patient’s symptoms. These medications can have many side effects, though. “Immune system dysfunction and its close interactions with the nervous and endocrine systems have been clearly reported in recent years as playing a role in the development of CFS.” In TCM, this can be treated by some drugs that help adjust immune dysfunction and abnormal activity of the HPA axis, and also some natural antioxidants. These treatments seem to be safe, effective, and natural and treat CFS right at the sources.

Chen, Rui et al., “Traditional Chinese Medicine for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,” Evid Based Complement Alternat Med March 7(1) (2010): 3-10, accessed July 4, 2013, doi: 10.1093/ecam/nen017