ADHD

My definition of health would be the state of an individual’s mental or physical condition. I would describe illness as being sick to the extent where your body or mind is affected. While coming up with these definitions I believe I was influenced by my education in health and society. There are many ways to broaden these definitions, but in a general aspect I believe others would define them similar. The media also plays a large part in what I perceive as health and illness. Different commercials perceive people as being well and happy although they may not be. I also believe media takes a large part it telling us how we should feel about health and illness.

The two conditions I chose to discuss are depression and ADHD.  I believe depression is an actual illness in some cases, although some people may be misguided to believe they are depressed who are not. Some people may experience extended periods of sadness due to a breakup or death, and believe they are clinically depressed. These people may in fact be depressed, but it seems to be much more complicated than just being sad all the time. I believe it is an illness if there is actually a chemical imbalance in their brain stopping them from producing the right amount of serotonin or dopamine. ADHD is similar in the sense that it cannot be proven that someone actually has a chemical imbalance and can’t focus although many people believe they have it. I believe if depression or ADHD are both an illness, but they are not always diagnosed properly. I believe if the patient claims to have depression or ADHD as an illness the doctor should assess if it is affecting more than one aspect of their lives. These illnesses are very hard to asses because although the physical symptoms may not be present there are many other symptoms present, such as chemicals in the brain.

1. ahmadmad says:

Hello

I did some research on ADHD in other cultures because I was sure it was something only Americans decided to be a real medical problem. Surprisingly I was half wrong. “In a study appearing in the May issue of Psychiatric Services, researchers, led by Stephen P. Hinshaw, PhD, report that the prevalence of ADHD varies across nations but that most of this difference is due to disparate diagnostic practices and algorithms”. So similar behaviors appear across cultures, but the US treat and diagnosis it more frequently and differently than other cultures.
    “In Brazil, psychoanalysis was the mainstay of treatment and use of drugs was “decidedly out of favor”; also behavioral problems were not viewed as related to clinical manifestations of syndromes or disorders. Many of the respondents cited physical exercise as being a viable option instead of medication for ADHD.”
    Americans are very apt in prescribing people with medication to cure any type of problem they have. Unfortunately I think it is causing more harm than good. Obviously it is becoming a problem while attending college. Kids decide they need extra help in college and it’s part of our society to be able to go to the doctor and get that extra help. Sadly doctors don’t actually care that ADD or ADHD doesn’t magically become apparent when kids get to college.

Fran Lowry. “Wide Global Variation in ADHD Diagnosis and Treatment.” Medscape Today, May 05, 2011. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/742133