Biological Approach

I choose the biological approach because with being a human biology major and planning on pursuing the PA field of work, I have been exposed and will be even more exposed to biological predispositions that have evolved and have the potential to further proceed in various evolutionary processes. Also, I will treat variations  in patients and work to try to grasp a better understanding of  how environmental stressors such as diseases affect certain people in a population yet may not influence others, in order to prevent or more accurately treat susceptible people to these diseases.

The distinction between disease and illness was not obvious to me prior to watching the power-point, but now I understand that illness is more the individual who is experiencing  an alteration in health and his/her perspective about what is happening to their body.  Disease is the clinical diagnosis aspect of individuals who are showing alterations in their physical functions.

In Miner’s article he is referring to the American way of life.  I realized this after his geographical description of where the Nacerima reside and especially after the “chopping down of a cherry tree” referring to George Washington.  The people “seeking out a holy-mouth-man once or twice a year” even though the Nacerima people undergo “unbelievable ritual torture” when visiting the authority figure is insinuating our trips to the dentist.  Americans have such a fixation, in a sense, about maintaining perfect teeth so that they will be socially accepted and thought to have a sufficient amount of money in order to be well kept orally – “to arrest decay and draw friends.”   Miner is describing how our society emphasizes the importance of dental hygiene that even though our teeth will decay regardless,  for the sake of being accepted by others and being looked highly upon, we must keep seeing the dentist to “fix” us.  Another ritual that Miner described in the article was about the charm-box of the household shrine, referring to the medicine box used by many Americans.  He describes the charm-box as being  “usually full to overflowing. The magical packets are so numerous that people forget what their purposes were and fear to use them again.” Miner is expressing how Americans tend to hold on to all of the medications that were prescribed to them in their medicine cabinet, and usually never use them again since they accumulate and they forget what is used to treat what.  Another ideology that is hinted at with the charm-box ritual is the fact that the Nacirema people don’t even know what is in the magical potions prescribed to them because the medicine men “keep it a secret” – which shows how in American culture patients hardly know what they’re being prescribed since doctors are quick to write multiple prescriptions and get them out the door so that the next patient can be consulted which in return the doctor is making more money.