HIV

Hi guys!

My definition of being healthy would be being in a state without being sick, and I also included being mentally stable. Being sick, or ill would include not being in a stable state of mind, or having an infection in the body. I think these ideas mostly come from both, the media and personal experience. In my generation, a lot of our knowledge comes from the media because we grew up watching television every day. Also, personal experience helped with this definition because you can tell when there is something wrong with your own body. Lastly, these definitions mostly come from what your parents teach you. When your younger and are first learning about things, you believe what you are first taught because young kids don’t know any other way.

HIV would be considered in my understanding, a disease. It is not common amongst all individuals and it is more of an individual experience. Although it does occur nationwide, it is more common in some societies than others, and it depends on the environment around you. This disease cans be cause from personal behavior, such as having unprotected sex with a partner who already has the HIV virus. Also, this disease depends on the environment around you. Some environments are more prone to this virus, such as Africa, whereas some are not so prone to the virus.

I also believe that cancer would be considered a disease. Again, it occurs nationwide, however it does not infect every individual. I also believe that having this disease it a personal experience, and that everyone who is infected with it experiences it a different way. This disease can also be caused from personal behavior such as lung cancer is caused from smoking cigarettes.

Thank you for reading my post and hope you all had a great holiday!

Cheyenne Benyi

1. phill612 says:

To my current knowledge and understanding HIV is an infectious disease. Globally it is also viewed as such as well as an epidemic problem. In the Caribbean HIV affects the younger population predominately. That is causes socio-economic distress on the country because the young make up the majority of the workforce. Many infected individuals are unemployed or ineffective workers because they miss so many days due to illness. For these reasons and the increasing mortality due to this disease the governmental resources are being drained in tertiary care expenditures. The government is taking actions to decrease the number of infected individuals by enacting policies that are preventative. Early intervention and sexual education is being implemented to rid the social stigma that sexual activity with multiple partners makes you appear more heterosexual. Many young individuals fear of being perceived as homosexuals therefore tackling stigma will be the most effective starting point. However, being HIV positive is also not perceived well either, so many living with the disease are not tested or won’t disclose their condition in fear of being shunned or mistreated by family, friends and society. Sexual education such as the importance of safe sexual practices and partner communication are being implemented at a younger age in hopes to instill healthier practices. But challenges such as the sexual mistreatment and abuse of women and the lack of society communication pose a large challenge for the government’s success.

The Caribbean Community Secretariat. “Model Caricom Youth Summit: HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean” Accessed July 7, 2013. http://www.caricom.org/jsp/community_organs/aids.jsp?menu=cob