In Sickness and In Wealth

I found the quiz to be surprisingly difficult. This was both because the data was somewhat misleading and I did not have a comprehensive knowledge of the facts presented. I received a 4/10 on the quiz with some of my correct answers including educated guessing. I found the park to wellness ratio data to be fascinating. The correlation between green space is an interesting phenomenon which I have experienced myself to some extent.  While in a larger city in a less affluent area I noticed that the smaller corner stores had much lower fruit quality and variety much to my keen interest. When presented with fewer options it’s no wonder the quality of life in these areas suffers accordingly.

In the video I watched “In Sickness and In Wealth” I thought it was interesting how predictable life expectancy could be determined by the region in which an individual lived in. I also found the studies with the monkeys and their stress levels to be very interesting. It is extremely important to realize that individuals in lower income situations must be under an extremely high level of stress. This was shown by the studies with the monkeys to be very indicative of tissue breakdown and damage as well as a greater prevalence in disease. Perhaps one way to improve American well being as a society is not to put more money into healthcare and treat the symptoms of the issue, but instead place more money and emphasis on improving the general well being of society therefore treating the cause of the issue at hand. A lower stress environment could be facilitated by less need and greater access to simple human dignities in poorer areas.  I would say with reasonable certainty that non-genetic are actually the main cause of these health disparities. Genetics may play a role but lack of essential human services plays a far greater role.