Cardiovascular Health Among Caucasian

Fig.1. Cardiovascular Diseases, WHO. Digital photo. www.chemicalshealthmonitor. http://www.chemicalshealthmonitor.org/spip.php?rubrique10. (accessed 12th July 2013).

I decided to take a look at the cardiovascular health among caucasians, as there have been heart associated health problems in my family that I have experienced. My grandfather recently experienced a heart attack, although he successfully recovered after undergoing a bypass.  Fortunately, he made great progress after his heart attack, due to a strict diet and minor medical attention. This heart attack most likely could have been prevented if he was exposed to knowledge of a good diet and heart health.

Although the article from the American Heart Association did not have in depth information pertaining to a successful solution to heart health, it did point out several important reasons concerning cardiovascular health. (1)

Some of these points involved physical fitness, environmental factors, as well as gender and ethnicity that seemed to affect causes of poor cardiovascular health. Caucasian men and women both had wide variation with certain statistics such as hypertension and obesity however, age differences factored in substantial differences as well. When compared at ages 18 and under, there were larger gaps between men and women with women having higher percentages in both categories. Although, after the age of 18 the percentages began to be similar with each other.

Even though there are variant percentages within each gender, as mentioned in our lectures, it seems that social inequality can have a significant impact on these statistics. Within each socioeconomic status, there are different health disparities including limited access to healthy foods and physical exercise. At a lower status there also tends to be less education on health, only furthering these disparities.

It is apparent that cardiovascular health has many complex factors when gender, race, socioeconomic status, as well as many other social and political factors are considered, although it is important to maintain a knowledge of how these factors can adversely impact ones cardiovascular health. Your genetic background will also have a major impact on how each individual will react differently, as stated in our readings, our ability to adapt and react is partially due to our genetic background, some being more protected than others.

1. “State of Disparities in Cardiovascular Health in the United States.” http://circ.ahajournals.org/. 2005. Accessed July 12th, 2013. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/10/1233.full.pdf#page=1&view=FitH.

1. Moe Aqel says:

I feel like your post was well written, as the health issue among Caucasians in the United States has severely been increasing steadily. I believe just the same as you stated, the issue among them not only can be race or genetics but being affected by the environmental aspect and the social class status of one pertaining to. At the lower class status, there is less education on health and limited access to healthy foods and physical exercise that will only increase these disparities. With that being said, I feel like you touched just briefly on the significance on the Caucasian main factors such as the genetics and gender. I do agree that the social status of somehow has a significant impact on their health because it will just bring more stress into their life and increase health related issues. When a caucasian is working hard and trying to achieve living the American dream they do nothing but merely live to work to obtain that achievement. That brings more stress and causes cardiovascular health issues among that race. They work, stressed, limited exercise, and eat lots of unhealthy food to make it throughout the day on the go as they continue to work. Beyond the stress, this will lead to blood pressure and cholesterol issues which can turn into a genetical issue as maybe in their family history they have low tolerance to such issues. Overall, it is very well and I cant seem to agree more.