Cystic Fibrosis-Caucasians

risk-of-cystic-fibrosis

The health disparity I chose was Cystic Fibrosis among Caucasians. As seen in the table Caucasians are at highest risk for the disease. This health disparity sparked my interest the most because I had an aunt and uncle die from the disease.  I believe Caucasians are so at risk for this health disparity because of a certain mutation in the gene related to their ethnic background. Caucasians are more prevalent to this gene mutation possibly because of their broad spectrum of ethnic backgrounds. As a Caucasian myself I can relate my ethnicity back to several different European countries, which exposes me to many different gene pools and health disparities. An African-American or Asian can simply relate back to one country such as Asia or Africa, and this may make their gene pool/odds of health disparities much smaller. Because CF is a recessive disorder carriers express no symptoms of the disease. CF will only occur in the child if both of the parents carry a mutation in the CF gene. Just because a couple has one or more children not affected by CF this does not mean future children will not be affected. A CF carrier screening is ideal for family planning. There are two types of screening to determine the most common genetic mutations in the gene that causes CF. The two test options are standard and comprehensive. The standard test screens for the “F508del” gene, which accounts for the majority of Caucasian CF cases. The comprehensive test screens for the 32 most common CF mutations, which detects about 90% of Caucasian CF mutations in individuals. It detects slightly less than 90% of the mutations in people with ethnic backgrounds.

Genetics may be linked to health because it determines how our bodies are predisposition to respond to certain things, and from lecture we learned that most health disparities are due to environment. I believe race does not completely determine a person’s health but it does play a part in their susceptibility to certain things based on their gene pool. In terms of social ranking I believe higher class people tend to have more access to doctors and treatments, which gives them a health advantage over those that cannot afford the same care. People born in wealthier countries may be healthier due to their access to doctors and healthcare.

“Cystic Fibrosis”. Genea:World Leading Fertility. Retrieved from, http://www.genea.com.au/Library/Genetic-disorders/Cystic-Fibrosis/Cystic-Fibrosis .(Retrieved July 12, 2013). Web

1. Angela Palmer says:

Dear mackin24,
    I really liked the research in your post. It was very thought provoking and informative. I never thought Cystic Fibrosis was that prevalent. In regards to your discussion on race I really believe that most health disparities are actually caused by genetics. Even if it seems a disease is caused by the environment I believe it always has something to do with genetics. Either the person is more susceptible to the disease because of genetics or maybe there is a predisposed trigger within their genes, or maybe it was just a matter of time. But in the end, I believe it always has something to do with genetics and not the environment. I think that race is a good way to categorize humans and human health. But we have way better ways to do it. I think we should consider how these categories were made in the first place. If the categories were made because of the region in which they live, say European decent, well that’s a correct race, European. A race category like European is a good start but should be further developed with genetic studies and categorizing the results from there in a more precise way. But races like African American are just a bit too conflicted. I think this race category can border on racist and unfair because a person of this race may have very few connections left with their actual African decent. So I believe race categories like this should be taken apart and better categorized to avoid racism and confusion regarding their actual health and not just what is thought to be their health.